Chapter 10- Shots Fired

"Uh... you heard nothing?" Hazel tried weakly, and I shot her a look. Roger just rolled his eyes.
"If you guys need training clothes, just ask. Follow me."

Roger led us back to the training center, where we found Derrick continuing to abuse a punching bag. We walked past him towards the back of the gym, Hazel purposefully holding her head up high and looking straight ahead.

Out of the corner of my eye I could have sworn I saw him look towards her, and for just a flashing moment, he looked as if he might actually feel regret; but the next second his cold demeanor was back, and his attack on the punching bag became fiercer.

Roger led us down the hallway furthest to the left, and stopped at the second door on the left. "Go on in," he said as he held the door open.

Hazel and I gasped aloud when we entered the supply room, although it looked more like a designer store than a supply room. Red carpet covered the floor, and the walls held racks and displays of various suits and outfits, all black and white. Weaponry was stationed on the far back wall and along islands stationed in the middle of the room; metal daggers and guns of all sizes gleamed in the soft lighting.

Hazel squealed like a kid in a candy store and rushed over to the racks that held training suits. "Those are made of bullet proof fabric, and would be perfect for training," Roger said to her as she ran her hands over the smooth, black fabric.

I walked towards the rack to get a closer look. The black fabric gleamed in the soft lighting. "Take as many as you need. The AIA won't mind. Besides, you all get issued this same stuff later this week," Roger said over my shoulder.

I grabbed a few outfits to try on, and wandered over to the display of guns on the wall. I grabbed the nearest one from the wall, savoring the cool feel of the metal on my skin.

"I've never held a gun before," I muttered absentmindedly to myself as I gripped the handle and turned it around, just to see the light bouncing off it.

It gives you a sense of power, holding a gun. A sense of dangerous, beautiful power.

"You can keep it," Roger said as he walked up to me. "You're looking at that thing as if you're in love."

"Maybe I am," I said, and he shook his head.

"I wouldn't if I were you. That's a dangerous thing to fall in love with."

I looked up at Roger. "Thank you," I said, and he shrugged. "No problem. Have you two got what you need? I have a meeting in ten minutes that I need to get to."

*********

At five fifteen the next morning, I stood admiring my new outfit in the mirror, waiting for Hazel to burst into my room. The outfit hugged my body in all the right places, giving my confidence a much needed boost.

Approximately 15 seconds later, Hazel made her entrance. "Rise and shine, Gracie-- well look who's up early!" Hazel cooed, and I rolled my eyes. "Nice outfit," I told her, and she grinned. "Same to you. To breakfast, then?"

Ten minutes later Cam, Hazel and I were all sitting in the dining hall, steaming plates of food before us. I was just about to dive in when I heard someone clear their throat behind me.

"Is this seat taken?" the boy said, and I shook my head. "Not at all. Your name is Eric, right? I'm Gracie." "Nice to officially meet you. And you two are?"