Chapter 1

[edit: april 7, 2018]

"I can't be late again. Snape is going to knock off 50 points and hand me a weeks worth of detention for good measure." Harry rushed out of the Gryffindor dormitories and towards the dungeons. As he got closer to the potion's classroom he smelt the familiar yet utterly antagonizing scent of Draco Malfoy.

He broke into the class quickly prepared to make some complaint to Snape about how Malfoy was skipping class, but when he entered the room Malfoy was in his usual seat and the room was drenched in his smell.

No one had noticed he had entered the room yet because of how hard they were focusing on their cauldrons which seemed to be brewing some pearly hued substance. Harry was sure he had seen it before, but it didn't matter. He was confused. Had Malfoy taken control of the class? Was this how he'd come to own such luxuriously scented soap and cologne?

"Why does the room reek of Malfoy's cologne?" Harry asked no one in particular. As he looked around he noticed how shocked everyone was to not only see him finally join the class, but to hear what he said. Draco blushed hard and looked over at Harry with eyes as big as saucers, yet just as quickly reclaimed his composure. Hermione looked as though she would have to explain death to a child as she spoke lightly.

"This is Amortentia, Harry." She looked at him as though that should be enough. She took in his confused face and realized he still didn't understand. As she spoke he began to break the scent apart. It wasn't just Malfoy's cologne. It was all of him. Soft vanilla, a cool metal scent like that of more than a few galleons, a hint of citrus from living in such a clean home and by far the least pronounced was the small lingering scent of chocolate.

He looked over at Hermione again, waiting for an explanation.

"It's a love potion," she spoke solemnly. "It smells different to everyone depending on what attracts them."

The words sunk into Harry and the blood began to rush to his cheeks. He was out of the classroom before anyone could say anything else. Once he had left everyone looked at Draco.

"What?" He spoke calmly as if nothing had happened.

"What do you smell, Malfoy?"

"Why would I tell you, Granger?" She looked at him harshly and he rolled his eyes while taking a whiff of the potion again. "Fine. I smell fresh dew, a warm fire place, treacle tarts, soap and broomstick polish." He slid his chair back smoothly, handed his finished potion in to Snape and left the classroom at his usual easy pace before exiting and rushing further into the dungeons towards the Slytherin dorms.

"I can't believe I admitted that to the entire bloody class." He knew Hermione would figure it out. That's the kind of girl she was. "Granger never knows when to leave well enough alone."

Once he entered the common room he calmly strutted to the bedroom. No one would be there during class. Having a free period really paid off. Well Herbology might as well be a free period.

~~~~~~~~<>~~~~~~~~

Harry screamed.

Well not out loud, but he wanted to. He placed a silencing charm over himself and did exactly that.

By now it was lunch time and luckily Harry didn't have Charms with Draco. He wasn't ready to be tormented quite yet. As he was rolling off of his bed to make his way to the Great Hall, Ron entered looking at him with a mix of confusion and worry.

Harry winced at the look on his face and began scratching at the back of his head awkwardly.

"I assume you talked to Hermione?"