Chapter 25 (Last)

Lauren's POV

I left the hospital after a month. Even now, years later, I still count with some scars to illustrate my anecdote. It changed my life. You don't know how much something means to you until you see how easy you can lose it.

I have never been scared of dying, at the end, death only exists in the eyes of the others. What terrifies me is the idea of not seeing my beautiful Cuban girl again. No matter how many mythologies picture the afterlife as the most perfect, fulfilling place, I am convinced nothing will ever compare to the way Camila makes me feel.

I took a decision just days after returning to my house. I loved Camila and spending my days by her side was all I cared about.

The first time I tried to propose, I was so nervous that I probably drank more than I was supposed to. My movements became clumsy and before I could even begin the speech I'd practiced so much, I fell down and broke my wrist.

The second time, I organized a dinner, for just the two of us. I wasn't willing to let myself ruin my proposal this time and I hired an event party. They took charge of the decorations, the music and the food. I put hidden cameras to capture the moment. Which were only useful to record how I intoxicated myself by unconsciously eating something I've always been allergic to.

I may not believe in a lot of things, but when it comes to 'third time's a charm', I'm a strong believer. I promised myself I wouldn't rush, it had to surpass my own expectations and show Camila how deep in love she has me.

I began to make a list about my best ideas and then to cross them all out. Months started to slip away slowly, when I less realized years had already passed by. Our relationship had passed through wonderful moments and some horrible fights as well. Unlike before, I didn't get afraid of losing her, because I knew our love was more real than any temporary anger.

I took long to finally realize that the perfect scenario was one with us in it. All I truly needed was Camila and a ring.

I start my car and drive through the familiar streets. My hands are shaky and my knees weak. It's still too early. Therefore, the neighborhood is completely empty. When I step outside, the morning air hits my face abruptly. I'm careful to be unnoticed. Camila is sleeping tightly inside her bed, covered with the blankets from neck to toes.

I know my life will change after today, but I honestly cannot wait anymore.

Camila's POV

"Wake up, my love." I hear my girlfriend's sweet voice whispering. My eyes open slightly to see a smiley Lauren, I squeeze her hand and turn around. "You're already awake, that doesn't count." I feel her body falling over me and her lips kissing every spot on my face. A small guffaw escapes my mouth.

"Baby, get under the blankets and hug me." I almost beg her.

"I'd love to, but we have somewhere to be at." She taps my nose and I shake my head.

"What for?" I ask sleepily.

"Oh... You'll see. Just, please?" She murmurs the last part.

"If I had known you were going to do this to me, I wouldn't have given you my house keys."  Lauren chuckles and I peck her lips. "Now move, I need to shower, and this time you aren't invited."

Lauren's POV 

Camila is eating her donut in silence, to concentrated in chewing and enjoying every bite. I improvised our breakfast, buying donuts and coffee, practical and tasty. My eyes are stabbed in my brown-eyed girl, who's sitting on the hood of my car. A part of still wanted to add an external factor and I brought her to an old, even forgotten, viewpoint. The sunset embellishes the sky with yellow and orange schemes. At the same time, the lighting stands out Camila's breathtaking beauty.