Chapter: 1-2

Chapter 1

Cheryl closed her eyes, resting her head on his shoulder as he gently pulled her to him, squeezing her arm.  She slipped her hand round his waist and held on tight, waiting…

They both stood there for what felt like an eternity, until Dermot revealed the winner of the X Factor 2009 and they both stood still, eyes closed, hearing the cheers ringing out, not wanting to believe what they had just heard.

Cheryl spoke first, pulling away and opening her eyes.  “Babe, I’m so sorry” she said sadly, as a tear started to roll down her cheek.

“Don’t be daft,” he replied, taking hold of her arms.  “You’ve been amazing.  I came second – that’s more than I ever dared to dream of,” and he pulled her into a hug.

“Love you,” said Cheryl, kissing his cheek and squeezing him tight as Dermot approached with the mic.

Dermot put a hand on Cheryl’s arm.  “Cheryl, disappointed?”

Cheryl wiped the tears away with the back of her hand and forced out a smile, slipping her arm round her protégé’s waist.  “No, I’m proud.  Proud of everything that he has achieved and of the hard work he’s put in and the talent he has shared with the entire nation.  Anyone could have won tonight, it was the closest it’s ever been, and in my eyes, he’s a winner…”

Her voice trailed off as she struggled to fight back the tears again, and she found herself scanning the front row for Kimberley, squinting to see through the bright lights.

Everything else seemed like a blur to her.  Dermot was continuing the interview but she had said her bit and wanted Dermot to talk to her contestant anyway.

“She’s looking for you Kimba,” said Sarah, putting her hand on Kimberley’s leg and pointing.  “Look, she’s scanning the audience for you”.

Kimberley nodded and smiled, wiping a tear away from her cheek and waving to get Cheryl’s attention.

Back on the stage Cheryl caught sight of Kimberley waving at her and smiled, relieved to have located her and see her smiling back at her.  She lifted a hand and waved, blowing a kiss in the direction of Kimberley and the other girls, before turning her attention back to Dermot who was introducing the highlights video tape.

---------------------------------

As the theme music started to ring out around the studio, signalling the end of the results show, Kimberley stood up and started to make her way over to the stage but was stopped by security.  

“I’m just going to check Cheryl’s ok” she said, attempting to walk round him.

He shook his head, holding out an arm to stop her getting through.  “I’ve been told nobody is to approach until the interviews are out the way, sweetheart.  We’ve got the Xtra Factor to film yet”.

Kimberley frowned, “but she’s upset.  I won’t be a minute” she said hopefully, looking over at Cheryl who was struggling to hold the tears back.

The security guard stood firm, refusing to move.  “Producer’s orders.  Nobody gets through, not till after the interviews.  Not even that Cole guy she’s married to”.

Kimberley turned and looked at Sarah who had followed her with Nicola to the barrier.  

“Have you got kids?” asked Sarah, smiling, as she walked in front of Kimberley so she could talk with the guard.  

“Yeah, but they’re both Sugababes fans, so unless you’re gonna offer me a signed photo of that Heidi bird, nobody’s getting through” he answered, smirking.