Chapter: 25-26

Chapter 25

Kimberley stood tying her hair up in the mirror as a knock sounded on the bathroom door.

“It’s open,” she called out as she picked up her towel and hung it up next to the shower.

Cheryl opened the door and stood in the doorway.  

“Were you trying to catch me naked?” grinned Kimberley.

Cheryl smiled, “well that would have been an added bonus,” and her smile quickly faded.  “Kimberley…” she hesitated.

Kimberley frowned.  “What is it?”

“Do you remember me getting up early this morning?” asked Cheryl, leaning against the doorframe.

Kimberley nodded.  “You couldn’t sleep”.

“Well, I figured I’d made myself useful,” explained Cheryl.  “I called Hillary”.

Kimberley frowned.

Cheryl smiled momentarily, “and I texted Nadine and invited her over because I thought it would be nice, but then I forgot I’d done that”.

Kimberley didn’t respond to the light-hearted comment.  “What did you say to Hillary?”

“What we discussed,” said Cheryl, slowly.   “That we want to do the interview, but that we want to do it here.  She’s flying out tomorrow and OK! will probably be here the next day.”  She observed Kimberley’s face for a reaction.  “You said you wanted it doing as soon as possible”.

Kimberley sat down on the edge of the bath and nodded slowly.  “I know, I just…I didn’t expect you to sort it all so quickly”.

Cheryl frowned.  “But it was what you wanted.  I wanted to sort it – so you didn’t have to”.

Kimberley smiled sadly and held out a hand, taking Cheryl’s hand in hers as the other girl took the hint and approached.  Cheryl sat down next to Kimberley.  “Have you changed your mind?” she asked, searching for a clue in Kimberley’s face.

Kimberley shook her head, still smiling.  “No.  I’m actually relieved.  I was dreading sorting it – explaining everything to Hillary”.

“Well,” started Cheryl, kissing Kimberley’s head.  “Hillary said that the whole control thing might be an issue – we might not be able to proof-read it before it goes to print.  But they’ll discuss all that when we’re all together.  I’ll make it very clear to them that if they print anything false it’s the last interview they get from me”.

Kimberley laughed, “Unleash the inner b!tch!”

“Well exactly,” grinned Cheryl.  She squeezed Kimberley’s hand.  “Are you sure you’re ok with it?”

Kimberley nodded slowly but confidently.

Cheryl smiled.  “Well then, get your ass in the shower – Nadine’s slaving away down there!”

Kimberley smiled and held her hand up to caress Cheryl’s face.  “Off you go then, back to Nadine.”

Cheryl pouted as she felt Kimberley push her towards the door.  “What about the added bonus?!”

“Out!” laughed Kimberley, shutting the door.

Cheryl’s muffled voice sounded through the bathroom door.  “I’m making a note of your meanness!”

Kimberley laughed as she turned on the water and slipped off her robe.

---------------

“So there I was in the back of the cab, fiddling with the GPS thing on my Blackberry,” laughed Nadine.  “Arguing with him to turn back and he’s just going around and around in circles.  God only knows where he thought I wanted to go.  I ended up getting him to let me out at the restaurant and I called Jason to come and get me!”