Chapter: 21-22

Chapter 21

Kimberley stood motionless, eyes closed, leaning onto the wall, feeling the wind blow her hair into her eyes and onto her face.  

She slowly breathed in the salty air, waiting for her heart to stop racing.  As it gradually returned to its normal rhythm she opened her eyes and looked out at the sea.  There was nothing there - no boats, no windsurfers.  For miles she could see nothing but open sea.

Backing away slightly from the wall she focussed on what she could see nearby.  No neighbouring houses overlooked their villa, but suddenly she heard laughter and looked down at the beach below to see a small group of people playing volley ball.

Turning herself around slowly she looked at the kitchen and leaned back against the wall.  For the first time she raised a hand and pushed the hairs out of her face.  She took in a long deep breath, feeling her lungs expand and then let it out slowly, briefly closing her eyes again.  

After a few seconds she opened them again and pushed herself off the wall and in the direction of the kitchen.  Once she was inside, she quietly slid the doors shut and made her way towards the living room.

As she entered the hallway her eyes fell on Cheryl, still sat on the bottom step with her head leaning on the marble banister, eyes closed.  Kimberley stopped in the doorway and looked at her.  Cheryl sensed her presence and opened her eyes, staring back at Kimberley and holding her gaze.  For a while neither of them spoke, both of them rooted to the spot and unsure as to who should speak first.

Without moving Kimberley spoke first.  “Ashley’s contesting the divorce”.  She watched for Cheryl’s reaction.

Cheryl frowned slightly.  “No.  He’s accepted blame, that’s all sorted”.

Kimberley shook her head slowly.  “Nothing was signed.  After we went public he had a re-think.  He’s naming you as the responsible party in the marriage break-down.  His lawyers are saying that your relationship with me destroyed your marriage –he wasn’t unfaithful, because technically the marriage was already over”.

Cheryl’s frown gave way one to an expression of shock.  “What?  No!  He can’t do that”.

Kimberley nodded slowly.  “He can – and he has”.

Cheryl stared at Kimberley for a few seconds then stood up, shaking her head.  “No, no, there’s got to be some sort of mistake.  He cheated on me.  I was never unfaithful – you and me, we waited”, and she had already started making her way to the living room.

Kimberley followed her inside and watched her sit at the table.  She leaned against the door frame.  “Prove it”.

Cheryl looked up at Kimberley and frowned.  “Prove what?  You were there remember?  Or at least I’m hoping you remember”.

Kimberley shot Cheryl a look.  “Of course I remember.  And I know we waited.  But the press has spent months printing pictures of us holding hands, kissing, sharing little moments – right from practically the very start.  How do we prove that all of that turned into something more only this year?”

Cheryl stared at Kimberley as things finally became clearer in her head and she lifted a hand and ran it through her hair.  When she spoke her voice came out quiet, unsure.  “What do I have to do – write a statement?”

Kimberley laughed and walked over to the sofa, sitting herself on the edge and clasping her hands together.  “We could both get called to give evidence before a judge”.

Cheryl’s mouth opened in shock.  “In court?  Both of us?  What the f*ck?”

“He’s named me as a third party.  So if this doesn’t get settled beforehand, we could both end up giving a statement in court”.  Kimberley folded her arms.