Chapter: 5-6

Chapter 5

Kimberley felt herself wake up but didn’t open her eyes straight away, she could already sense that there was a bright light shining directly into her eyes.  Sleepily she shifted a little and felt Cheryl’s shoulder under her face.

Cheryl woke up with a start and opened her eyes, immediately seeing Kimberley resting on her shoulder.  She yawned, a little louder than she’d expected, and froze, trying her best to be quiet.

Kimberley’s muffled voice sounded out from down by her shoulder.  “It’s fine – I’m awake”.

“Sorry,” said Cheryl, kissing her head.  

“No, I was already awake – I think I woke you by moving,” admitted Kimberley and lifted her head.  “I didn’t want to open my eyes though – I was trying to keep the illusion going that it was around midnight”.

“Oh tell me about it – it’s twenty to five in the afternoon and the sun is shining.  We should be in bed,” moaned Cheryl.

“Well, there’s an idea!” giggled Kimberley, patting Cheryl’s stomach and winking.  “Twenty to five?  Have we only been asleep for 15 minutes?  I feel like I’ve been asleep for hours”.

“Nah,” Cheryl shook her head, “I wish.  We should be at Nadine’s soon though shouldn’t we?”

Kimberley looked out the car window and pouted as she concentrated on her surroundings, making Cheryl smile.  “Yeah, we’re about 5 minutes away”.

“Oh I forgot to say – I hired a car in advance too.  It should be at Nadine’s for collecting – she sorted it.  I thought we could do what we please that way, wouldn’t be relying on taxis and stuff if we wanted to see Nadine, but if we go out at night we can hire a cab”.  Cheryl smiled at Kimberley, “I was trying to cover all eventualities”.

Kimberley looked back at her, “sounds like something I’d do, you really are turning into me with all this organising you’ve been doing”.

“Just trying to make sure this holiday is perfect” smiled Cheryl, a little embarrassed.  “God, what do I sound like?!”

Kimberley caressed Cheryl’s cheek with her hand and grinned, “you sound like the woman I fell in love with.  Now what do I sound like?”

“A sad, cheesy girl who watches too many films!” laughed Cheryl, taking hold of Kimberley’s hand in hers and intertwining her fingers in Kimberley’s.  “Ooh look – we’re nearly there”, and she pointed out the window as they approached Nadine’s home.

“I’ve missed her loads”, admitted Kimberley, looking out the window.

“I know, that was part of why I wanted to come here rather than somewhere closer to home” agreed Cheryl, tracing a figure of eight on Kimberley’s fingers with her thumb.

Kimberley turned to face her and leaned in, kissing her gently on the lips.

The car pulled into the huge drive of Nadine’s house, and the front door had opened before the car had even come to a stop.  Nadine appeared, smiling widely in the doorway.  She was tanned, and wearing short denim shorts, flat sandals, and a simple vest, her hair tied up casually on top of her head.  She started to walk quickly towards the car as it stopped in front of the door, and made her way to Kimberley’s door, purely by chance, given that the windows were tinted.

Kimberley opened the door, stepping out quickly and immediately throwing her arms around Nadine’s neck.  Cheryl smiled from inside the car, and picked up Kimberley’s bag with her own, exiting the car the other side and walking round to join the other two girls.