Chapter: 27-28

Chapter 27

“I’ll go,” offered Hillary, standing up from the kitchen table and moving towards the front door.  

It was the next day and the OK! people were due to arrive.  Hillary had been there for over 2 hours already, and the stylists for over half an hour.  Cheryl pulled away from the hairdresser and looked at Kimberley.  “Are you ok, babe?”

Kimberley was standing while the stylist was adjusting the hem of her skirt.  She looked back at Cheryl and smiled.  “Fine.”

Cheryl nodded and sat back again, allowing the hairdresser to finish her hair.  

Hillary cleared her throat as she entered the room with three people.  

“Girls, you remember Samantha from the magazine?”

Cheryl and Kimberley both looked over and Kimberley spoke first.  “Hello!  How have you been?”  She reached the older girl and gave her a quick hug, pulling away as Cheryl reached them.  

“Hi, you ok?” asked Cheryl, leaning forward and hugging her briefly.

The journalist stood back and smiled at both of them.  “I’m good, thanks.  It feels like a lifetime ago that we did that last photoshoot”.

“Do you want a drink?” asked Cheryl, pointing to the kitchen.

“Oh no, thanks” came the reply.  “Erm, this is Jason – the photographer.  We couldn’t get the same one as last time.”  Both Cheryl and Kimberley shook his hand then looked at the remaining stranger stood in their living room.  

“And this is our assistant, Emma.  It’s her first time in America”.

Kimberley smiled and shook her hand.  “Best time of year to come – London’s freezing so you appreciate the sun”.

The girl smiled back nervously at Kimberley, then blushed slightly as Cheryl held a hand out for her to shake.

“Right then,” said Hillary, with a clap of her hands.  “We’re happy to go with what the photographer thinks, but I like the idea of the sofa for pictures – and both the terrace and the pool area have wonderful lighting at this time of day”.

“Outside shots would be interesting,” agreed the photographer, picking up his bag.  “Can I take a look at the pool?”

“Of course, replied Hillary, pointing back into the hallway.  “Through the kitchen and out the back door.  If you need anything just shout”.  She turned her attention back to the journalist.  “I think we need to sit and have a chat before we start”.

Samantha smiled knowingly, and sat down in the chair as indicated by Hillary who sat opposite her.  Cheryl and Kimberley sat themselves down on Hillary’s side, and after an awkward few seconds and a glare from Samantha, Emma sat herself shyly next to her.

Both Hillary and Samantha pulled files out of their bags and set about placing sheets of paper on the table.  Kimberley let one hand drop from the table onto Cheryl’s leg.  Cheryl immediately took hold of it with both hands.

“Right,” started Hillary.  “I don’t think I need to point out that Ashley recently did an in-depth interview and photoshoot with Hello!”.  She looked up at Samantha.  “We chose OK! to counter that interview because both girls have given a number of interviews with you in the past.  I felt there was a trust there, and I hope I’m not wrong”.

Samantha smiled.  “We’re grateful you got in touch, we love featuring the girls in the magazine – sales are always high when they feature”.