Chapter: 31-32

Chapter 31

Cheryl and Kimberley from Girls Aloud set tongues wagging earlier this year when they announced that they were now “more than just friends”.  Since then, there has been constant speculation as to exactly when this happened; what happened beforehand, and the girls have been snapped everywhere they’ve gone.  Cheryl and Kimberley invited OK! to spend an afternoon with them at their luxury holiday villa in LA where they have spent the last 10 days holidaying, close to their friend and bandmate, Nadine.

Cheryl tells us that she surprised Kimberley after the X Factor final with tickets to LA and the keys to the luxury villa featured in these photo’s.  She also tells us that Kimberley (the good girl of Girls Aloud) even swore when she saw how beautiful the villa was!

But OK! got straight down to business and asked what everyone wants to know.OK!: How do two close friends end up becoming more than just friends?

Cheryl: I’ve always loved Kimberley.  In the beginning I was just in awe of her.  I thought that’s what it was.  I wanted to be more like her – she’s an amazing person.  She gives all the time – she’s always there for people, she always knows what to say, and she used to cook me and Nic food in the early days when we couldn’t even boil an egg…  I remember our first ever concert.  I looked over at her and my stomach just knotted, I actually thought I wouldn’t be able to sing because I was just transfixed by her.  But I never thought it was a sexual thing.  I thought I was just in awe of her.  Over time it just got stronger.  It took a long time for me to accept that it was more than just being in awe – it had become something much more.

OK!:  When did you know that you were in love with your best friend?

C:  I think I’ve known for years.  Accepting it, I don’t know – the way Kimberley was there for me last year kind of made me realise how special she was to me.  But I never imagined it would turn into anything – she was with someone.  I decided to try and make it work with Ashley – I mean, we hadn’t been married that long, I wanted it to work.

OK!:  What changed?

C:  (Cheryl looks at Kimberley for a second before answering).  I don’t know.  I think with feelings so strong, they don’t go away, they just get stronger...  

(Kimberley stands up at this point, interrupting Cheryl’s answer.  It’s only then that I notice she has started to cry and Cheryl’s concern is evident.   Kimberley takes a tissue from the table and sits back down.  Cheryl takes her hand and I ask if she is ok to continue, she assures me she is and apologises for the interruption.)

OK!:  Kimberley, all that time, did you feel the same as Cheryl?

Kimberley:  I did, so much so it would keep me awake at night – the confusion of these feelings I was having.  When I realised how Cheryl felt about me, I can’t even begin to describe what that felt like.  One minute I was trying to be strong for her as she realised her marriage was over, the next I was suddenly…with her.

(Kimberley stops and looks at Cheryl who is gazing at her, holding her hands, and their closeness is clear to see).

OK!:  Kimberley, it’s unusual to see you so emotional – you’re usually much more “together” in interviews.

K:  I know - I don’t know what’s got in to me.  It’s just a bit much really – talking about private things like this.  But I didn’t expect to get upset.

OK!:  Cheryl, you’re more “together”!  Next question for you!

C:  (laughs) Hit me!