Chapter 4

"Jess, you have to wake up now, we don't to be late now do we?"Aunt Patty came and woke me up.
Today is moms funeral. A day I know will be filled with nothing but sorrow and great grief.

I roamed through my suitcase and looked for something to wear at the funeral. All my clothes were either bright neon colours, dull colours or black. That was when I caught a glimpse of white at the bottom and pulled it out.

It was a white one- armed dress that fell just bellow my knees. It had beautiful pearl-like beads embroidered onto it around the waist.
I remember mom had bought it for me last year as a birthday/Christmas gift because my birthday is one day before Christmas.
••••••••••Flashback••••••••••
"Jess...won't you come downstairs for a moment?"
I went downstairs to mom where she was sitting on her armchair near the fire place, with a warm blanket wrapped around her.

"Yes ma?"

"There is a package that just came for you.....its on the kitchen counter"

I walked to the kitchen counter and there sat a rectangular pink box, I shuddered involuntarily because I hate the colour pink.

{Who in their right mind would wrap the box pink when everyone knows I hate pink}

I brought the box back to wear mom was sitting.

"Mom, what do you think -"

"Just open it, will you?"

"OK." I opened the box and there lay the beautiful dress.

"Oh my gawd....its beautiful"

"I know right, guess your mommy still has good taste in clothes. Huh?"

I gave mom a big hug and said thank you to her
••••••••Flashback ends••••••
Laying the dress on the bed, I headed to Ali's bathroom, stripped off my clothes and took a long,hot shower, letting the water run through my long thick brown hair that fell to waist as I washed it with my favourite blueberry dented shampoo.

Turning off the water, I dried myself.
I got dressed and slipped on my silver stilettos. I tied my hair into side French plait before putting on some light make-up on my face.

When I was ready, I walked down the stairs to the kitchen.
"You do know we are going to a funeral and not a teenage party?" Dad said. I noticed different, that's when I realised........

{Oh my word... He can't be serious}

"Yes I know that though I don't think you know" I spat back with disgust.
"Judging from what you look like right now, gawd! You are drunk dad,drunk. Do you even have any respect for mom? How dare you get drunk on her funeral. Seriously, do you even know the meaning of respect is?"

"Jessica I -"

"Don't even bother, I already know the answer to that answer to that". I stormed out the house, slamming the door as I left.