■ bilgesnipes

Loraine groaned and tried to stand up. "What was that?"

Loki's face paled. "No. Foolish! I told you, I told you," He raked a hand on his hair, exasperated.

"What?"

He turned to the forest. "But since when did Bilgesnipes ventured near the river?" Loki whispered.

"The what?"

"Bilgesnipe."

"Okay. What's that?" She questioned and went to his side. She wasn't even aware they were still holding hands again.

Was she slowly getting used with her hand on his?

"They're..."

Another roar swept through the forest. Birds flapped away, screeching. The roar almost tossed her aside again but she held tight to Loki's grip - who was standing like a hammer nailed in place.

"No," He whispered. He lowered his head and touched his forehead.

Loraine looked at him, concern filled her eyes. "Loki?"

She knew that look. That was the look Loki gave her every time a rustle or a snap stunned him. Could this be it?

"Not again," he shook his head and pressed his hand to his temples.

"What's wrong? Tell me. It's okay, you can trust me."

He looked back at her. "Trust you?" His voice wavered.

"Yes. You can trust me," She nodded and said it as if she was talking to a five year old.

Loki inhaled a shaky breath, and stared at her. Probably battling his thoughts whether to trust her or not. He straightened his back and tried to look calm. He looked at the forest again. "We have to go. Now," he warned.

"I know but -"

"Now," he growled.

"You still don't trust me, don't you?" Loraine whispered.

He didn't look back.

Loraine sighed. She went to the right side of the hood. The air hissed back at her ears. "Bilias!" She called. "We need to go!" She stared above, hoping for a dust of red and gold to appear.

No reply.

"Bilias! Come! Now!"

Another roar. It was closer now, probably about sixty feet away from them.

Loki ran immediately to her. "Loraine, the creature is close!" He hissed and stepped closer at the railing.

"I know I know..." She said, sweat trickling down her back. "Bilias won't reply."

Loki cursed in Norse. His heart pounded inside his chest. He stared at the forest. The memory came scrambling to him. The past reviving inside his head. It all seemed clearer, like an unburned picture.

Another shrill roar pinched his ears and snapped him out of his trance.

"Loki," she taunted softly and went to him. "Go inside the panel room."

Loraine had to fight and she needed him out of the way.

"No," he said, wide-eyed.

"Please."

"No. Listen to me," he shoved her back. "That is a bilgesnipe. A creature you cannot possibly handle. An ancient creature. Do you understand me?"

"Trust me on this." She glanced at him and nudged his hand. "What choice do I have? Bilias is nowhere. I have to protect you."

His face darkened. "Are you saying I'm weak?"