■ fondness

After Loki finished the descriptions of his dream, the awkward tension flamed warmly between their lit figures. The dream was one thing, but the mysteries of him, giving the amulet back intrigued her as well.

She gazed up and found his green eyes staring intently at her, as if he was trying to unravel her thoughts and emotions. "Why now? How was it a nightmare Loki?" She asked in a careful whisper and stood. "Why did my lost presence frightened you?"

Loki shifted his posture uncomfortably. "Do not make it hard for me."

"I don't... I didn't mean to - " She stopped and took a step towards the side of his bed. "It's just that I find this... Quite rare about you."

"Then you should savor it while you can."

"Why? I am finally seeing this side of you. But why not show it to others?" She shrugged. "Kind..."

He narrowed his eyes on her. "I do not intend to show this part of myself to people, to worthless people of whom I had criticized."

"So, did you criticize me?" She raised an eyebrow. "I thought I'm one of those undeserved people."

He sighed. "You aren't." His gaze fell.

"But you said I need to try hard for you... You said you wouldn't want to know me. You wanted to keep a distance from me."

"Well I lied."

"How simple for you to say that."

"It always is." He replied and moved to the side of the bed as if he wanted her to sit by him.

Loraine's eyebrows gathered in confusion.

He continued to stare at her. Well? He kelted.

What?

Sit.

Loraine smiled at him. She took her carpet slippers off and leisurely eased herself down on the bed, beside him. The hem of her nightgown brushed to her thighs as she slipped in. Briskly, she shoved it down- hoping Loki didn't see her bare skin.

She laced her amulet back around her neck and tried to hook the lock. Her thumb slipped from the lock. She cursed.

"Let me help with that." He insisted.

Since when did he offered help? She thought.

She turned to look at him again. "How will I know you won't steal it?"

"I won't. It would not certainly make sense if I steal it again from you. You have my word."

And since when did he give his word? She shook her head.

"I don't... Really trust your word...." She said matter-of-factly.

"And that's exactly the reason why I know you aren't a fool." He replied.

Loraine hesitated for awhile, examining his eyes. Was he actually saying the truth? To hold on to his word? Well, he didn't give that amulet back for him to steal it again.

"Okay..." She opened her palms and carefully, Loki took the amulet. Loraine turned her back on him. She gathered her hair to the side, exposing her pale neck. Loki strapped the necklace easily.

She could feel the strange ripple of nervousness inside the muscles of his hand as he fastened the amulet. "Here."

She turned around and stared at him carefully. "Loki... Why are you doing this?"

"Doing what exactly?" He looked at her.

"You are not the type to give something up. Why?" She asked.