Breakups and Makeups

A/N Really quick reminder that this is a new version of this chapter, so it's not a new chapter exactly, just a new version! Sorry, thank you all for your patience!

As soon as Marshall unlocked the front door of the apartment, they were greeted by Hana, eyes hard and frown deep. "Marshall," she started, her voice thick and arms crossed, "I thought you said you weren't going to go visit Ash."

Marshall felt panic swell in his chest and he felt caught, unsure if he should lie, or tell the truth, that yes, he did visit Ash. He knew he wasn't a particularly bad liar, but his mom always saw right through him. He supposed that's what happens when you're around someone for all of your life, the lies become easy to spot. The mannerisms, the twitches, it all became pretty obvious. Reacting as best as he could to save face he snapped, "So what if I did?"

Hana turned her head and pointed at the direction of the unseen living room, "Well she came here sobbing, into my arms Marshall." She looked at him like he was supposed to know what to do and why this was such a big deal.

"So what, I broke up with her, I'll just tell her to leave!" He raised his arms in defense and attempted to pass through the door before Hana stopped him with a single narrow of her eyes, sending shivers up his spine. She only did that when she was absolutely pissed.

"You will do no such thing Marshall Lee Abadeer!" she said, her voice raising, "she's saying you violated her, and if that's something you truly did I will absolutely not regret calling the cops on you!"

Marshall felt completely confused, and for a moment felt unable to breathe because what the hell. Then as soon as he felt like he wasn't going to vomit and the early onset symptoms of a panic attack died down, he felt anger swell inside him and before he could register what he was doing he forced himself past his mom and into the living room, where Ash was lazily staring at the ceiling, her hands folded over her stomach. "What the hell Ash, why would you lie to my mom like that!" He yelled, getting her attention immediately.

Her face swiftly went from bored to an looking fearful. "Get away from me!" She screeched, folding into herself, hiding her face.

"Ash, what's going on? Why are you doing this?" Marshall asked, a tinge of desperation in his voice as he attempted to calm himself and rationalize as to why Ash would be accusing him of something so disgusting. Not that he knew psychology or anything, but there had to be something going on.

This time when Ash looked up, there were actual tears brimming her eyes, and she said, "I just said that because I don't understand how you would break up with me." He suddenly felt guilt course through him for breaking up with her the way he did. Glob, didn't his mom raise him better? "I love you Marshall, I thought you loved me too."

He could feel Bubba and Hana's eyes boring into his back, and he felt like he was being put on the spot, so he opted to instead dumbly stare at her rather than reply, which apparently was good enough for her. She gave him a watery smile and looked up at Hana, "I'm sorry Mrs. Abadeer, he didn't hurt me in any way, I just said that so you'd get mad at him." she then glanced over at Bubba who was glaring at her and she then gave him a meaningful look. What the meaning was, Marshall couldn't identify, but it left a foreboding feeling in him.

"It's fine dear, just don't do that again, I almost had a heart attack," Hana muttered, putting a hand to her chest as she walked over to the kitchen. Bubba glanced over at Marshall, who was now sitting in the chair across from Ash, and walked into the bedroom, leaving Marshall and Ash by themselves.

Ash tucked a silver strand behind her ear and sat up, looking guilty and forlorn, a look that was entirely foreign on her, as she tended to have an almost narcissistic level of confidence about her. She looked up and met Marshall's eyes, muttering, "Would you mind walking me to my car?" She started playing the ends of her hair, adding, "Just as a final goodbye now that you're done with me."