Meeting Your Best Friend at McDonalds?

Marshall woke up to the sound of their neighbors yelling at each other, yet again. It was only his fifth day in the new apartment and he was already tired of it. At this point he wished he could duct tape his ears and cover them with pillows, because frankly, the yelling was giving him a headache. “Just shut up already,” He grumbled, pulling the covers over his eyes.

 Barely a minute later, his door slammed open and his covers were pulled down, revealing his mother, who was wearing a menacing smile. He groaned as she pulled the curtains aside, letting the sun filter in, warming up every surface it touched. “Rise and shine Marshall Lee, today’s going to be a busy day.” He glared heavily at her, and she simply smiled at him again, setting down several unpacked boxes by the side of Marshall’s bed. “I know we’ve only been here a week,” she said, huffing as she set one of the heavier boxes on his wooden rocking chair, “But we need to unpack or else these will stay packed forever.”

 Marshall sighed, and asked, “Do I have to? Can’t you do it?” His mother shook her head, and sternly said, “Marshall, you are a big boy aren't you? Only little boys need their mama’s help to put away toys and clothes. Now go do it and don’t get in my way. I’m going to be putting things away all day and I don’t want you to help.” With that, she gave him a small kiss on the forehead, and sweeped out of the room, her black hair swinging behind her.

 He grumbled as he hopped off the bed, and went to go change into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. After that was done, he started opening up boxes, and started filing away his toys, many of them legos. He cried out in pain when he happened to step on a fallen lego, and threw that one under his bed in a fit of anger. “Stupid lego...” He muttered, as he continued putting away more of his toys, not bothering to search for the lego he threw.

 About an hour later, Marshall felt the first rumblings of his stomach, and decided after an hour of hard work and a minimal amount of distraction from his toys, that he ought to eat. When he exited his room into the living room where his mom was, he asked, “Hey mom, what do we have to eat?” She stood up from her crouched position and pointed to the fridge saying, “Go look.” So he did, and the only thing he found was a jar of dill pickles along with some leftover sushi from yesterdays outing. But wanting neither options for breakfast, he shouted, “We don’t have anything to eat!”

 By the time he turned around, his mother was already walking over to him with something in her hand. “Here, take this and go buy something to eat. There’s a McDonalds across the street so go get a burger there or something.” She handed him a ten dollar bill, and pushed him to the door. He slipped his shoes on and shouted a quick ‘bye!’ before slamming the front door, and eagerly rushing down the apartment building stairs as fast as he could. He nearly fell down the stairs, in his hurry, but still didn’t even bother to slow down. How could he with such freedom?

 This was the first time he went anywhere without his mom, and obviously he was nervous. He was only seven, so anything could happen to him. He was pretty sure nothing would, but you could never tell with those creeps and murderers lurking around every corner. So of course, he took precaution, and made sure to walk fast, and to not stand near the curb, trying to keep out of danger.

 After only about two minutes of walking, Marshall reached the large and colorful McDonald’s area, and immediately decided he wanted something sweet, like a pie or cookie of some sort. And maybe some juice. So in preparation, he took out his ten dollar bill, and waited behind the long line of people who were waiting to order. When it was his turn, he ordered for a chocolate chip cookie, and some apple juice. Unfortunately they did not have any apple juice so he got milk instead.