Food Fights and Blushing Certainties

A/N This picks off from last chapter, just thought I should let you know!!

"Er, go ahead," Bubba says perhaps more awkwardly than the situation called for, his face reddening by the second, his thoughts clearly elsewhere than his mentioning of tomorrow's sudden move. Marshall closes the small gap and presses his mouth into Bubba's, both pairs of eyes fluttering closed and just both sort of stationary, almost as if they weren't sure how to proceed. It seemed Fionna and Cake's plan had actually worked, and they were only broken apart moments later by the ringing of Bubba's phone from deep in his pocket, and a loud knock on the door.

"Hello?" Bubba said as he answered his buzzing phone, "who is this? Oh, Simone!"

As Bubba talked to his aunt that was coming tomorrow to pick him up, Marshall mulled over what had just transpired between them, and that maybe now they were supposed to date. Their, well, not first kiss, but their first official...Marshall didn't know, but all he knew was that it was very awkward and very amazing and he wished they didn't have to separate because of a phone call. It seems there's always an interruption, like at Halloween or when his mom came in that one time with Panda Express....

Feeling like he had eyes on him, he turned away from Bubba and saw at the kitchen entrance that Cake was standing there, very smug while Fionna stood behind both of them at the front door paying for pizza they had apparently ordered. Taking Marshall by the arm into the living room, Cake asked, "Now was that so hard?"

Marshall stuck his tongue out at her and ignored her question in the interest of the pizza that Fionna had just bought for all four of them, and likely Mr. and Mrs. Mertens as well, wherever they may be. He could feel himself on the verge of drooling as the pizza boxes were opened and eyed the meat lovers' as it had an almost erotic and illegal scent, as pizza often had.

They all grabbed a piece or two and walked over to the couch, which was decorated with balloons and birthday streamers, and embarrassing pictures of them all from their early high school days, back when it was just Bubba, Fionna, and Cake, and Marshall still wasn't in school. "So, I know this is a birthday party and all, but what're we doing?" Marshall asked, hoping they didn't just set all this up for him to make a move on the Gumwad in the kitchen.

"Dude you don't know!? We're gonna have a movie marathon, it's tradition on everyone's birthday!" Fionna exclaimed, waving her pizza in the air as she clicked the T.V. on. She then added between chews, "Bubba, you better get your pink butt in here before the movie starts!"

"I am so sorry about that!" Bubba said breathlessly, glancing over at Marshall, red-faced, "My aunt wanted to check up on some things before she picked me up tomorrow." He took a slice of pizza and settled in between Marshall and Fionna, as Fionna was starting to explain the movie, and that it apparently was a foreign horror movie so they had to pay close attention to understand what was going on. Marshall pretended to not be a nervous mess, unsure if he should just muster up the nerve to hold Bubba's hand or not, with what just transpired.

As Fionna figured out how to turn the subtitles on, Marshall instead decided to lean into Bubba's ear and whisper, "I've already seen this movie, it's pretty boring." Bubba tore his head away from the screen and eyed Marshall quizzically.

"Why is it boring?" Marshall felt his mouth go dry as Bubba did the simple act of staring at him, waiting for an answer, and Marshall felt the urge to kiss him again but thought that maybe probably would be impolite in front of the other two. "Marshall?" Bubba tilted his head and his glasses slid down his nose and Marshall corrected it, sliding his glasses back up his nose, trailing the edges of his fingers into Bubba's hair as he did so, before placing his hand back at his side. The gesture seemed so simple but felt so significant.