The Game Only the Chosen Ones Can Win

After a year without seeing her, the boy's mom came to visit him. Never had the boy been so happy since he arrived his new home. After all, it was his mom. But his mother hadn't borne a type of magic like the boy did. She was mundane. But the boy loved his mom so much that he was happy when he saw her, and everything was perfect.
The girl kept pondering if the boy would take his mom to church. The boy agreed, and on the night his mom and the girl met, the boy's heart had been beating furiously.
They talked and talked and talked. The boy wanted to throw an illusion of invisibility when the girl began talking to boy's mom about how the boy was a good guy and the likes. He didn't want anyone to see how her words struck the him, how his face flushed in embarrasment, and how he just wanted to grab the girl and kiss her.
Kiss her. He'd wanted to do that for a really long time, but he didn't know how to approach.
Then, the girl began talking about a story she was writing. This one wasn't like her usual. It was her story: her story with her strong boyfriend. They had ended to weeks ago. The story was between a girl named Abby and Julian. And Abby apparently liked the boy, the one who could control illusions.
His world lit on fire as she said that, a flame burning in him. He told himself he needed to act, grab the moment. But like always, he didn't know what to do.
Later that night, the tricksters talked through this magical device. It was magic--everything was magic apparently.
There, the girl told the boy why she liked him. And the boy could feel his heart beat faster for her, his world rumble, the sun shinning in a dark sky. It was what he'd wanted to hear in a long time. To hear her say she liked him. Finally, somebody requited his feelings. He wasn't in a one-way game.
Because after all, love is a game, where only the clever and the brave and patient can win.
The boy told her he wanted to kiss her, and for a moment, he thought he'd rushed things. But the girl said it was okay, that he was being honest. That that was why she liked him.
But the boy had been lying to her for so long, starting with his feelings. She only knew he liked her, not loved her. What would she do about that? Use it for another of her performances? However, he never told her, though.