The Rumor that Might Break the Game

Days went by, and the tether that they had been building between themselves went taught, strained.
The kids who could control illusions were beginning to be strangers to each other, rarely talking only for short amount of times. It was like if they were becoming strangers, or so the boy thought.
But--
He sometimes pushed her away. There were times when he was trying to go around not thinking about her, and she came with her glorious smile and laugh and just brought herself that she killed him. And then she finished it in a painful way when she talked about her boyfriend, though that was also his fault, beause he asked her.
He had various reasons. Perhaps by lsitening her boyfriend's name on her lips will make him stop loving her. Perhaps if she talked, he would hear that the boy was being...different with her because according to what he had heard, her boyfriend was dating her only out of pity.
The boy wasn't sure if that was true, but he had heard one day.
They were at lunch, and the boy had been in a table with his friends, talking and laughing. He'd missed doing that. Then, one of their friends came--he could control technology. And with him, a friend of him who could control color. She loved colors so much that she used her magic to change the color of her hair every now and then.
And then, the girl that could control color said something, and along her words, she said the name of the girl that could control illusions.
The boys ears perked up at the mention of her name (they always did), and without realizing it, he listened. She was reading to her friend the text messages she had with the girl's boyfriend. And he told her that he didn't love the girl that could control illusions, but the girl that could control colors. That he only dated her put of pity because the girl was madly in love with him, and, well, he didn't want to break her heart.
Hearing that, the boy's nose flared in anger.
He felt his temper rising, his magic begging to be unleashed.
Yet doubt coated him. What if he was wrong? What if he'd heard something else, because at times he would only hear the girl's name because he thought nobody could have a name like hers. And hers fitted so perfectly.
Two single syllables--and they had him breathless.
But he had heard...