Chapter 14 - Parents

The journey home was swift and quiet. No one seemed to want to talk, and I rode on Caij while Layton lay on Talon, Violet wrapped tightly around her to ensure Layton didn’t fall. Violet and Caij had been walking through the forest for quite some time before we stumbled upon them, and after explaining what had happened, we all decided that it would be best to go back to my house.

                I couldn’t help but bounce around on Caij in excitement when I saw my house came into view and before I knew it, I was launching myself off the large white dragon and hurtling towards the ground at a fast rate. Two alarmed roars sounded behind me and I saw my mother scramble out the back door, glancing around her frantically.

                “MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!” I screamed in excitement. Immediately, her head snapped in my direction, and I watched as she thrust her hands into the air. The air seemed to condense around me and I soon noticed that my descent towards the earth was now at a safer, slower rate, and soon my feet were safely on the ground. I was immediately engulfed in a hug that knocked me to the ground, and I found myself laughing and crying in joy.

                “My baby! You’ve been gone so long, I missed you so much.” My mom sobbed as she peppered my face with small kisses, just like she did when I was a small child. I smiled lovingly in return and pulled her closer to me.

                “I missed you too mom.” I whispered into her neck, my voice caught on a sob. The ground around us shook as two large dragons dropped into our (thankfully) spacious back yard. A burst of heat passed over everything as they changed and dressed. I pulled back from my mom and smiled at her.

                “There’s someone I want you to meet, mom.” I said, standing up and yanking on her arm like a little kid in a candy store. She smiled at me and turned towards our guest. I watched as her body instantly froze, her mouth falling open and her eyes bugging out. I would have laughed at the sight if I weren’t so confused with it.

                “Mom? Earth to mooooooooooooooooommmmmmmm!” I shouted in her ear, hoping to get through to her. She just continued with the strange behavior and I soon gave up, shrugging before waltzing over to Talon and the others. I cast a glance on Layton, and she smiled brightly in return. I was glad that she was coming a little out of her stupor and snapping back into her original self. I’d never seen someone who could come back from sadness as well as Layton; it’d always amazed me, no matter what happened. I quickly grabbed Caij and Violets hands and drug them towards my mom.

                “Mom this is Violet and this is….” I trailed off as I watched my mom bring her hand up and caress Caij’s face, only to bring it away and slap him fiercely. I gasped in shock when a myriad of flames flew between the two, proclaiming to the world what they really were. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I had wondered why Caij’s eyes so closely resembled my own, along with the sheen in his hair. Now I knew. Mom was Caij’s Flame, his one true love. That only meant one thing.

                Caij was – is my father.

                “Holy shit.” I whispered, and then for the umpteenth time, passed out.