3

This chapter has been beta-read by: shatteredjewels & Sakura's Unicorn  

_____

"I don't get it," Naruto says, staring at his froggy wallet with a mournful expression. It is much thinner now than it was half-an-hour ago. "How does this always happen?"

"Maybe if you didn't eat out all the time," Sakura suggests, "or if you stopped accepting that fourth bowl of ramen Kakashi-sensei always orders for you. Then you'd notice him sneak off before it comes time to pay."

"Yeah, well, you two should do that for me! We're a team, remember—you're supposed to have my back!"

"And you're supposed to be a shinobi with better observational skills than a bag of hair," Sasuke mutters.

"What was that, asshole?!"

"You heard me."

"Guys, look!" Sakura interrupts the inevitable shouting-match-turned-fist-fight and points ahead.

Kakashi is waiting for them by the village gate, but he isn't alone. Three figures wearing Konoha forehead protectors converse with him; two of them are familiar faces, the others identifiable only due to the distinctive Hyūga looks.

"It's Hinata and Neji and..." Sakura trails off, frowning in thought. "I think Lady Tsunade said his name's Tokuma. He's a chūnin."

Naruto doesn't care.

"Hey! Hinata!" he calls, waving in jubilation as he hurries toward her.

Even from a distance, it's easy to make out the massive blush that creeps over the Hyūga girl's pale cheeks.

Sakura and Sasuke follow their teammate. Hinata barely notices them as she stammers, "N-N-Naruto. H-H-Hi."

It's the usual behaviour, though, so Sakura doesn't call her on it. Instead, she addresses her in a warm voice. "Lady Tsunade mentioned she sent you with the reconnaissance team. That's amazing! I'm glad you're well enough to go out on missions again."

Based on rumour, it has taken a while for Hinata to heal since her ill-fated exam bout. Which makes it even more surprising they included her on the surveyor team with Neji. They may be cousins, but given how he injured her during their match, the two of them working together seems counterintuitive.

"This mission required any Byakugan still in the village," Hinata's brusque cousin says, tone as abrupt and curt as usual.

"You'd better be treating her well," Naruto orders. "And not just because she's your teammate today."

Neji narrows his eyes and folds his arms in front of him while Hinata stammers, "I-i-it's fine, N-N-Naruto. We've been t-t-training t-together."

If possible, she turns redder.

Sakura and Kakashi exchange knowing glances at this, but Naruto is oblivious. He blinks at Neji in surprise. "Yeah?"

"I have learned not to underestimate the strength of others," the Hyūga prodigy sniffs. "In particular, no one that your ridiculous confidence has inspired. Or foolhardiness. It's too soon to say which." He shoots a glance at Sakura. "Sakura, is it? I never complimented you on your match in the exams. Your ability to throw off a clan technique as strong as the Yamanaka's was surprising."

"Um, thanks," Sakura manages.

The guy has a long way to go before he can manage a proper compliment!