17

"So, you're saying...you... I mean, I-I'm your... Me and him are—" Naruto can't quite find a way to complete that thought.

Boruto cuts him off. "Geez! It's not that complicated, you know!"

"What are you talking about?! It's totally complicated!" He glances plaintively at Sasuke as if it's his responsibility to clear all this up.

Sasuke offers a weak shrug. Just because he also found out today that, in the future, he'll be a father doesn't make him an immediate expert on how to deal with it. Witnessing Naruto go through the same experience, though, has an unexpectedly cathartic effect. By watching his teammate's family drama unfold, he doesn't have to dwell too closely on the unanswered questions of his own.

Naruto goes back to staring down his future child, like he can't even fathom the inarguable conclusion he's come to.

Boruto, on the other hand, watches him with something akin to defiance. It's as if he's trying hard not to be fazed by his father's obvious disbelief and incredulity, but in secret is chafing at the lack of recognition. Despite the very odd circumstances they've found themselves in, he still craves approval.

It's an expression Sasuke can recognise with ease. He knows it intimately as he's worn that same look, albeit not for many years now. No matter how mediocre, sons will always care what their fathers think. Sasuke's heart twinges as he wonders what his father would have to say about him now, had he lived.

Boruto provides a distraction from that train of thought.

"He's not freaking out about it," Boruto complains, pointing at Sasuke. He beams at him, tilting his head from side to side as if appraising him from every angle. "You still look wicked cool. The eyes'll take getting used to, though. Hey, Uncle Sasuke! You think I could beat you right now? I mean, we're the same age, and all."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Sasuke growls. He's not sure if he's more put off by the baffling moniker, or the insinuation that anyone with Naruto's blood might come close to his skill level.

"What?! You couldn't tell? I figured you'd just kind of know...with your intuition and all," Boruto looks puzzled, before shrugging and offering a toothy smile. "I'm your number one student! You've been training me! And I'm gonna follow the same shinobi path as you!"

Sasuke blinks. "The... What now?"

"Why the hell do you want to be like him for, if you're my kid?" Naruto explodes. "Wanting to be Hokage isn't a good enough ninja path to follow? You wanna be an antisocial jerk with weird hair?"

"His hair gets less weird. And I don't give a crap about being Hokage!" Boruto shoots back. "That's Sarada's dream, not mine!"

Again, Sasuke is nonplussed. As far as he knows, there has never been an Uchiha who became Hokage. Though, based on the talents he's seen her display, she's well on her way to achieving that lofty goal. If she's alive, that is.

Naruto barely even registers this news, still too stuck on the fact that this random stranger wants to be like Sasuke of all people.

"I drop you on the head when you're a baby, don't I?" Naruto suggests.

Boruto goes red and snaps, "You said it was only the one time and Mom said I was fine!"

"Obviously not, or you wouldn't want to be like him. Believe it! And you never answered before—who is your mom?"

"You really can't tell?" Sasuke snorts. Just by looking at the kid's face shape, he'd figured it out. That, and there's only one girl in the entire village with enough patience to marry the moron, let alone bear his children.