33

Author's Note: I've decided to update this early and just set a bunch of reblogs, because ever since tumblr messed with the links and tagging system, I don't think my stories are coming up in searches or anything...Besides, I'm really excited about this chapter! Prepare for feels!

As usual, unedited until I get to it

Also, the fanart above was done by the talented sajirah over on tumblr, so if you get a chance head over there and give a like/comment as thanks!

_____

Sakura isn't sure how long she is unconscious, but when she comes to, Kakashi is leaning over her, while her teammates watch her with a mixture of amusement and resignation.

"After everything you went through today, this is what makes you faint?" her instructor asks her lightly, and helps her to her feet.

She is blushing furiously, and trying not to meet anyone's gaze. Except, she can feel Future Sasuke's gaze on her, a piercing thing that makes goosebumps rise on the backs of her arms, but also comforting somehow.

I wonder how he does that...

Beside her, her Sasuke radiates irritation, and she has the rather ridiculous notion that he would like to put himself between her and his adult self.

"Sakura," Sasuke's future self says, a question in his voice, and Sakura remembers that he was asking her something. She snaps her eyes up toward him, forcing herself to pay attention.

He said there's something he wants to check? Sakura remembers. He means with the Sharingan, doesn't he?

She's not entirely sure how she feels about that, but the earnest expression on his face, different from the usual blank one, causes her to nod wordlessly.

Future Sasuke nods in thanks. "Look into my eyes. This won't hurt."

Hesitantly, she raises her eyes to meet his. Immediately, she is lost in the deep black depths of his eyes. There's something in their colouring, and she wonders if it's the glare of the sunlight, but are they a shade lighter than she's used to her Sasuke having?"

"Your eyes are different," she tells him quietly.

"Yes. It's an evolved form of the Sharingan."

"Now, that's not it. They're...well, they're not as angry as my Sasuke's," she tells him as his irises turn red. "They remind me...of your brother's."

The last thing she hears in the real world is the shocked inhalation of breath beside her, and then she is somewhere else entirely.

The world around her is black and white, like the negative image of a developing photograph. The only bit of colour she can see are Sasuke's eyes as he gazes down at her, before his attention is drawn by something else. Something black falls in front of her—a lot of somethings, she realises, and reaches out to catch one.

A feather?

She looks beyond it then and gasps as she suddenly finds that someone is standing behind Sasuke. A familiar someone in a long black coat with red clouds.

"Sa...Sasuke! Watch out!" she cries, pointing behind him.

She expects him to whirl around and lash out, the way he did when he first rescued her. Or the way she knows her Sasuke would react to the sight of his brother. But the movement is languid, as if he is reluctant to turn but knows he must.

She is hit then with a memory of surprising clarity.

The world bleeds red and black, and she is standing alone before Itachi Uchiha.