12

This chapter has been beta-read by: Sakura's Unicorn

_____

It seems like an eternity before anyone can process what just happened.

Naruto hits the ground several metres away, his cheeks scraping across the stone. The pain in his shoulder and chest roar like flames, and his lungs scream for air. Even as he struggles upright, one hand pressing against spurts of blood, his knees buckle.

Still crouched by the water, Sakura's fingers clap tightly to her mouth. Shock, horror, and disbelief war for dominance over her face.

"So nice of you all to swarm here," the newcomer sneers, pointing bloody claws at Sarada. A pair of brass knuckles have been fused to the back of each hand, gangrenous around the seam. "Especially you, you little bitch. I'll enjoy shredding you for sealing me into that cave-in."

He shifts into a crouch, like a tiger preparing to spring. At the same time, Kakashi dashes away from the mouth of the other tunnel. Bull is at his heels, both of them intent on the man, but Kakashi is still weak and slower than normal.

He won't make it in time.

Sasuke would normally coordinate his movements with Kakashi's—flank him and provide another front of assault on the enemy—but he finds himself torn. Naruto lies severely wounded and bleeding nearby, still trying to stand. He's a clear target of attack, if the clawed man wasn't so focussed on the girls. While Sasuke knows from even short experience that they can both defend themselves in a normal situation, this thing has a curse-seal spread across its body.

With a snarl, the clawed man lunges at Sarada and Sakura. Sasuke is instantly in front of them. Sakura's jaw drops as he catches the downward swinging blade with his kunai. He reverses, kicking his foot upward in the initial movement of Shishi Rendan. Before he can fully execute it, though, the man vaults backwards and lands in a crouch, eyeing Sasuke warily.

"Your eyes..." he murmurs, a touch of suspicion in his words. "You're the Uchiha brat, aren't you?"

"And if I am?" Sasuke counters. Behind him, Sarada makes an inquiring noise.

The man's ruined mouth pulls into a grin that is more of a grimace. "Orochimaru spoke of you. He has plans for you, kid."

Sasuke narrows his eyes. "You know my name, but I don't know yours. It's only fitting I know who I'm about to kill."

The man barks out a bitter laugh. "I haven't had a name in years. But if you're so sentimental, you can call me Mumyōi."

"A fitting moniker," Kakashi says as he and Bull plant themselves beside Sasuke. He studies this newest opponent, trying to decide whether he has enough strength to deal with him. It'll be a close fight, but he can manage, as long as he's careful.

Bull growls and snaps his jaws threateningly.

"That mark of yours seems to allow you to survive where normal humans wouldn't," Kakashi remarks. In a louder tone, he warns the kids, "Keep an eye out for others.

"Don't bother," Mumyōi sneers, lips widening over rotted teeth. "The other bastards were all crushed. About the only favour you did me. I've been listening to those losers scream and cry for months." He chuckles. "Their deaths were so satisfying once the door was open. I bet it'll be the same when I'm done with you."

Sasuke clenches his fists, preparing to throw himself at the creature, but Kakashi stops him.

"Save your strength," he warns him quietly. "There's a chance you'll need it. Sakura, Sarada—" The girls straighten up at the sound of their names. "Go help Naruto."