5

This chapter was beta-read by: Sakura's Unicorn

_____

"If you can move, we need to find a better location where you two can wait," Kakashi declares, straightening his body. "This place will do for triage, but if what you say about your assailant is true, we want to stay as far out of view as possible."

The girl—Sarada—nods once, mouth drawn into a determined frown, and gets to her feet.

"Hold on," Sakura blurts. She puts a hand on the girl's good shoulder and throws out the other as if to ward off Naruto and Sasuke. "You two need to back up."

"What? Why?" Naruto demands.

"Ever heard of a thing called 'modesty'? You're not allowed to see a girl in her underthings!"

Sarada, confused by this, glances down, notices the state of her clothes, and squeaks in embarrassment. The tatters of her tunic show glimpses of her skin and underwear beneath them. While it wasn't something of concern before, it is now that she's out of danger.

"So why aren't you pushing Kakashi-sensei out of the way?" Naruto demands, his cheeks turning red. Still, he obliges and turns away. "He's the one who reads—"

"Because he's giving her medical attention. It's different," Sakura snaps. "Now give me your jacket."

This brings him up short. "Huh?"

"She can't go around with her shirt falling off, stupid!"

"Okay, okay—hey, wait a minute! Why me?"

"Because I've already given what I could for the sling! It's easier for you to take off your jacket than it is for me to go around with no shirt on!"

"Why not? It's not like you've got anything under there to hide—ow!"

"Here."

Sakura and Naruto stop their arguing and stare over at Sasuke. Sakura almost has a nosebleed at the sight of him taking off his high-collared blue shirt to offer to Sarada. It should be no big deal—he's still wearing a black undershirt—but they might as well be seeing him naked because Sasuke never removes clothing unless necessary.

This is the guy who makes Naruto catch fish because he refuses to strip down, and he just up and offered his shirt to a complete stranger? A complete girl stranger? Sakura gibbers in her mind. It's too bad he doesn't wear mesh under his clothes, like Naruto. I mean, the black is cool too, but—Augh! Stop it! Focus!

Naruto notices the glazed look in Sakura eyes and rolls his own. Great. We've lost her. What is it with Sasuke and girls?

But when he glances over at Sarada, he notices she isn't staring at Sasuke in admiration, but rather confusion.

"Well, go on," he orders, disliking the attention. "No one should be forced to wear that idiot's clothes. They're probably full of fleas."

"Oi! Take that back, Sasuke!"

Sarada accepts his shirt with hesitation. Her thumb brushes across the uchiwa symbol on the back with what almost looks like the beginnings of a smile on her face.

Sasuke doesn't understand why that feels like victory, nor does he bother to dwell on it. Instead, he surveys the rest of his squad's expressions which range from speculative to resentful to dismayed.

Kakashi clears his throat. "All right. Let's find a temporary shelter."

"There's a small cave we found a little past the tree line," Naruto says. "Looks abandoned—and it sort of smells a bit, but it's hidden."