(4)

Hi guys,

I know it's been quite a long time. I'm dealing with some stuff. 

I'm sorry for the slow updates. And if it doesn't get better in the near future.. Sorry again. Nothing I can do about it. I'm trying.

<><><><>

"Hurry up!" 

"Where are my shoes?"

"Under the couch."

"Eat faster, the Wilsons will be here in 5 to pick you all up."

"I'm tired."

"One more complaint I will chuck that Xbox out the window Hayden."

I roll over, why the hell are people yelling? It's six in the morning.

"Make it stop." Alex mumbles from next to me. 

"I think Cole needs some help." I yawn.

"He's got it under control." Alex yawns. "Go back to sleep." 

I silently slide out of the covers, and drag a Harvard sweat shirt over my pyjamas. I let Alex sleep, and close the door behind me, almost getting knocked out by a lacrosse stick.

"Sorry Harper!" Elliot shouts over his shoulder, running down the stairs. 

What is going on?

I look over the banister, which looks over the main foyer and living room.

Chaos.

"Why are the Wilson's so late?" Hayden groans. "We have sport."

"You're lucky they pick you up." Cole snaps, adjusting Vince's tie. "Summer break is busy enough for everyone."

"Or you could just drive us." Seth roles his eyes.

"And let Vincent miss out on his first college interview?" Cole frowns. A car horn beeps from outside, making the twins and Hayden rush out the door, yelling their goodbyes.

"Ok." Cole sighs, moving onto Will, packing his backpack. "I'll have to drop Will off at day camp, then Asher at work, then next stop you at college."

"We're going to be late." Vince stresses. "Where's Zane?" 

"At work." Cole rushes. "Hurry up, in the car." The door slams shut, leaving the house to sit in silence.

What the hell has happened while we were gone?

I walk down the stairs, and look around, disgusted at how this place looks just like a dump. Through the kitchen entrance, I can see dirty dishes piling up in the sink, spilled milk dripping off the table, food marks all over the floor.

Piles of laundry overcomes the living room, the TV left on, blaring. Near the front door, I can see a mess of of mail and magazines, falling onto the floor. I look a little closer, to see the words overdue, denied, and late printed in bold red ink. Are they having money problems?

I trip over the endless supply of sports equipment, but strong arms catch me before I face plant it on the floor.

"Careful there." Jesse chuckles. "Someone might think you're a klutz."

"Thanks." I laugh, regaining my feet. "I wasn't snooping, I just..."

"You're worried." He sighs, walking over to the closet, pulling out a broom. "Just like Zane and I."

"How long?" I frown, following him into the kitchen. 

"It got a lot worse around six months ago." He shrugs, beginning to sweep up the mess. "Cole is just too busy. And he has got it into his head that the only way to make it better, is to drop out of school. He wants to purely focus on the family and work." 

"Do the younger ones know?" I ask, beginning to load the dishwasher.

"Just Jake and Zane." He says. "I think he wanted to tell you guys, but he didn't want to worry you."

"I wish there was something we could do." I sigh.

"I was nervous." He admits. "So I moved down, I only lived in the next town over. I help out a little here, chip in with groceries where Cole won't notice. But he really is too stubborn to let me do all that much."

"Of course he's stubborn." I snort. "Cole wouldn't be Cole if he wasn't." I hear padded footsteps, and I turn around to see Alex, filling the doorway. 

"What are you doing here?" He frowns at Jesse.

"Good morning to you too." I roll my eyes, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Aren't you cold?"

"No." He shrugs, letting his bare chest puff out proudly.

"Do you want some eggs man?" Jesse asks. "I'm going to make some."

"Eggs will be great." I cut in quickly, not wanting Alex to make us seem even ruder.

Breakfast is awkward, an obvious, stony silence between the two. Every part of me wants to know why, but I know that I really have to wait until Alex tells me.

"What are you guys planning to do this week?" Jesse asks. "We have the  reunion tomorrow, but you have heaps more days. Shame the weather hasn't warmed up yet. In a couple of weeks, it'll be perfect for swimming."

"We'll probably go hiking." I grin. "Spend some time in the water hole."

"When does your mom get here?" He asks, continuing to eat.

"Tonight." I say eagerly. "I can't wait. She's with my step dad too, Derek. Alex and I will probably take them out for dinner."

"I can't tonight." Alex says abruptly, keeping his eyes on his plate. "I'm catching up with some mates."

"You knew they would be here tonight." I frown.

"I didn't think we were going to go anywhere with them." Alex shrugs. "Do you really want me there? It's not like they have the best opinions of me."

"My mom loves you." I sigh, exasperated, placing down my fork. 

"Derek thinks you can do better." He rolls his eyes. 

"He barely knows you." I say. "But right now maybe he's right."

"Hey!" He says, annoyed. "I just don't want to be attacked all night for working in a garage." 

"You can't just go for one night?" I spit. "For me?" 

A tense silence fills the room, as we both realise our argument has an audience.

"We'll see." Alex settles it. 

"I better go." Jesse says. "I'm late for work." 

"Where do you work?" I ask, glad to switch topic.

"I'm a medical assistant at a vets clinic." He says, downing his coffee. "I'll see you guys later." He leaves, leaving Alex and I to sit in silence.

"I really think Cole needs help." I tell him. "Have you seen those bills?"

"If he was in trouble he would tell me." Alex frowns. "He's my brother." 

"Well, I think he's just too stubborn for his own good." I sigh.