(10)

Hey Guys,

I know it's been a long time, but I've been on Mission overseas for the last couple of months. Not apologising, because it was the best experience of my life, and the beginning of something incredible.

I will update when I can x

<><><><><><><><>

I place another bowl of potato salad on the table outside, before scurrying back to the kitchen, running late. 

"What about the alcohol?" Cole runs in breathlessly, a punch bowl in one hand, and a watering can in another. What the balls is going on today?

"Huh?" I ask.

"I can't handle my family when they're sober!" He points out like it's obvious. "You get them drunk, and they'll only tell you that you're a disappointment, not a disgrace!"

"Beer and wine in the fridge, spirits on the table." I say soothingly, taking the punch bowl off him, putting it in the sink. "Thinking of doing some gardening Cole?" He frowns, looking at the watering can in his hand.

"I really can't remember." He sighs, sinking into a kitchen chair. "I'm gonna be sick." 

"It'll be fine." I assure him, quickly filling up the punch bowl. "You said it yourself, they don't want to be here anymore than you guys do. They'll stay the bare minimum, and then we'll purge on all the food I just made."

"You're right." He breathes. "Just have to get through today." I inwardly breathe a sigh of relief, one crisis down, many more to come. 

"Now go put this punch outside, and add two bottles of vodka to it." I grin. He leaves, but the door is filled with someone else.

"Hello stranger." Bianca grins. I gasp, trying to hold in tears.

"Hi." I say, letting her hug me, not wanting her to let me go. "I missed you."

"It's been a long time." She smiles, holding me tight. "After we talked on the phone last night, I forced Jake to come pick me up from the academy."

"You didn't have to." I say, but secretly glad she did.

"Are you kidding?" She snorts, letting me go. "Alex is being a dick and you expect me not to come and kick his ass?" 

"That would require him to be around." I shrug, focussing on pouring potato chips into bowls.

"He hasn't come back?" She frowns.

"Not since he went for drinks with Paul last night." I sigh. "He sent me a text, saying he would be back for the reunion. Doubt it."

"I don't understand what happened." She says softly. "I can't imagine Alex making you so sad. He worshipped you." 

"Too good to be true, I guess." I shrug. 

"What are you going to do?" I look at her, wishing I had an answer.

<><><><><><><><>

"You're still going to community college?" An uptight old lady asks again, sipping on her drink in her two sizes too small cocktail dress.

"Yes, Auntie Jolene." Cole smiles tightly. "Part time. This is my last year." 

"Well, I'm sure you'll get some sort of job with that qualification." She sniffs.

"More wine?" Cole asks way too brightly, leading her towards the alcohol.

I look over the backyard, too see all of the River boys, in their uncomfortable Sunday best, their hair slicked back, interacting with a small pod of stuck up, rich, and boring relatives.