(14)

"Darling, everything is going to ok." Mom hold my head to my chest, I don't know what's happening to me. I can't breathe. The thought of Quentin and my Dad coming back into our lives is too much for me. 

I'm sitting on the couch with my Mom, trying to calm down. Its been at least two hours since Mom and Derek arrived, and the house is in chaos. 

"If they come back into our lives, I don't know what to do." I whisper, trying to block the memories out of my mind. "I can't handle it."

"They won't." She says firmly. "I'm not letting that happen again." 

I hear Cole and Zane arrive with all the kids. They decided they wanted everyone to stay home until we figured out why they were back. Especially considering they were at Will's school. Who knows what they would do.

"What do we know?" Cole asks, after herding some very confused yet happy to be out of school kids up the stairs. 

"We know that shit has hit the fan." Derek says from the kitchen door way. He's been in there trying to get hold of Trent.

"What did he say?" Zane asks.

"I never got to speak to Trent." Derek sighs, collapsing in an armchair, rubbing his temples.

"Trent is Evan's father?" Jesse asks, clearly still trying to link up all the dots. I completely understand, there are a lot of characters in this story. 

"Yep." Jake says, holding Bianca's hand tightly. As soon as she heard, she came right over.

"I spoke to Evan though." Derek says, sounding concerned.

"Can we trust him?" My Mom asks concerned.

"Yeah, that little piece of shit hasn't really earned my respect." Cole mutters.

"I think we have too." Derek continues. "Apparently, Trent has been overpowered."

"No." Mum whispers, I feel her heart racing.

"About a month ago, they started having trouble with a rival gang in the area." He says. "About a week ago, the other gang won, and Trent's gang dissolved. Trent is hiding out somewhere in Mexico, living off his savings, drinking cheap drinks for the rest of his life."

"What does that mean?" Zane asks.

"According to Evan, the other gang couldn't care less about us. They're using their power in this town purely for business, dealing drugs. We don't have any sort of protection. Which means, if they want too, Quentin and Drew can come back." Derek finishes.

"Jesus Christ." Jesse whispers. I understand completely. This would seem like a lot.

"We will go to the police." Mum says firmly. "Our situation is different now. I have Derek, we are safe. We don't leave in that good for nothing neighbourhood anymore, we are financially stable. They have to arrest them."

"First thing tomorrow." I break my silence. "We go to the police station, and end this."

<><><><><><><><>

"Why did we get to stay home from school today, again?" Will asks, as I brush his hair.

"It's just today, you'll be back in school tomorrow." I smile at him in the bathroom mirror.

"Damn." He sighs, jumping down from the stool. "Do I have time to play a video game?"

"Ten minutes." I say sternly. "Then I want you in the living room reading." He rushes out of the bathroom, and I chuckle. That kid.

I walk to my room, doing wake up calls on the way. Just because they have to stay home, doesn't mean they won't be doing school work.

"Hayden, up!" I demand, flicking his light on and off until he can't stand it anymore.

"Ok!" He sighs, sitting up in bed. "I'm up." 

"Good." I move on to the next room, but Hayden calls me back.

"Are you ok?" He asks. "I know we're not supposed to know, but we do. So are you?"

"I will be." I say, smiling. "Thank you Hayden." He salutes me, before rummaging through his closet for clothes.

I move on to the next few rooms, before I hear Zane on the phone.

"You better make this right, Alex." I freeze, looking through the gap in the door, watching Zane pace.

"You've destroyed her, you know that?" He continues. "You've absolutely demolished her, yet all she wants, is you. Your ugly ass, is all she thinks about, day and night. And now, this situation with her Dad, is going to kill her on the inside, and you ignore the phone calls. Either man up, and sort this out, or just end it now, because it would be less fucking painful for her." He hangs up, throwing the phone on his bed in anger.

I stand there in shock, before hurrying downstairs, it's probably best I pretend I didn't hear that. 

It's true.

I did call Alex. I decided it wasn't fair to leave him in the dark about something like this, so I sucked it up and called him last night.

He didn't answer. I left him a few voicemails, explaining what's going on. I never thought, even when fighting, he would ignore something like this.

Derek isn't happy. Derek wanted to go find Alex, and 'talk' to him, but I talked him out of it. Nothing good will come from Derek hitting Alex in the face. I want Alex to come back because he wants to, not out of guilt, or obligation.

"Are you ready?" Mum asks, stirring a pot on the stove. 

Typical. Hasn't even been here twenty four hours, and she's already nesting. 

"Yes." I say, shaking off my negative thoughts. Today will finally be the day we seek and receive legal justice. "This your famous curry?"

"Yes." Mum chuckles. "I couldn't help myself, and the boys all asked for it, for lunch."

"They love when you visit." I smile. "The grandmother they never had."

"Please don't call me a grandma." She sighs. "I'm too young."

"Wendy, I love when you visit." Vincent says, stealing a spoonful of curry. "You can stay as long as you like." 

I snort, smacking him away.

"Thanks for that invitation Vince, go start your work." I enforce.

Mom watches me, amused.

"What?" I ask, spreading jam on my toast.

"You really do mother those boys in the most perfect way." She says.

"Thanks." I smile. 

My Mom fully supported me getting involved with this family, and I really don't regret a single thing.