(20)

Hi beautiful people x

If you're annoyed by the wait for this update, please read the author's note at the beginning of the last chapter xx

<><><><><><><><>

I sit across from officer Brooks and officer Bradley, as they silently re read the texts from my phone. I finally gained enough courage to come back and show them, praying it's enough.

"I'm sorry, it's just not solid evidence." Officer Bradley sighs. 

"Why?" I struggle to stay calm. "There's so many."

"It's just a text." Officer Brooks explains. "From an unknown number, that doesn't trace to anything. We tried, its a burner phone. They don't put their last names, for all we know it's someone playing a practical joke."

"They mention things." I gulp. "Things they did. In the past. Why can't you just believe me?"

"Don't think we don't believe you." Officer Bradley says seriously. "We do. This just isn't enough. We tracked both of them down, to try and see what we could find. They happily let us look at their phones, it's not from their number. Obviously they are hiding it well, and we don't have enough evidence for a search warrant. I'm so sorry."

"Whatever." I sigh, getting up to leave. I'm glad I didn't tell anyone I was doing this, it would've just gotten their hopes up. 

"Harper, just try and live your life normally." Officer Brooks stresses. "Eventually they'll slip up, and we'll have enough evidence to get them."

"Yeah." I snort. "Maybe I'll be dead by then." I leave the room, slamming the door shut. That's the last time I go to the police, I'm sick of being ignored.

Bianca meets me in the hallway and doesn't say anything, knowing by the look on my face that I didn't get the help we needed. 

"Are you ready to go?" I ask. 

"Yep." She says sadly. "All my stuff's in the car. I don't want to leave you though."

"Don't be silly." I say, trying to brighten the mood. "You belong at ballet school, you need to go back or those ballet robots might get better than you, and we can't have that."

We relay the banter, until I drop her off at the station, and she gets on her train. Everyone seems to be living their lives, and I'm just stuck in this rut.

It's funny how life works. I promised myself I wouldn't get stuck in this town. Of course, I'm here for a good cause, my family needs me and I wouldn't change my decision. But I feel life moving on, and I'm being left behind. 

I moved here with a partner, hoping it would strengthen us, but it did the opposite. 

I pull into our driveway, and smile watching Will run up to me.

That's why I'm here.

"Harper, we're making cookies, come help!" He says, throwing himself at me for a hug.

"Wow, who let you into the kitchen?" I joke, hugging him tight.

"Alex." He says happily. My heart freezes a little, but I remind myself that I have to be ok around him, I can't ruin Alex's relationship with his own family.

"What flavour?" I ask, as he holds my hand, leading into the house.

"Choc chip, but we're making a batch with raisins instead, to prank Hayden." He giggles.

"That's just cruel." I say, as we enter the kitchen, and hit by a heavenly smell.

"Will, where did you go? Stir the batter." He looks up, surprised when he sees me.

"Hey." He smiles gently. "I just came over to see Will, I won't get in your way." 

"It's fine." I say quickly, helping Will with some flour. "Happy to help."

The three of us chat mindlessly, using Will as a barrier between the two of us, keeping the conversation revolving around him.

As the afternoon progresses, the family comes in and out, stealing some cookies, and spitting out the raisin ones. Cole sees us, and raises his eyebrows, but doesn't say anything.

I refuse to call this progress, this is just toleration.

"What do you feel like for dinner?" I ask him.

"I can cook." He offers. 

"Please no." Elliot begs, coming in for his fifth cookie. "I've got soccer practice tomorrow morning, I need to be in good health."

"I've ordered take out." Jesse says, collapsing in a chair across from us. "Chinese. I've been craving it all day."

"Perfect." I say, mouth watering. "But the poor delivery man, he'll get soaked."

The rain has gradually gotten worse over the past few days, and it's pouring tonight.

"Apparently there's going to a hurricane coming in soon." Cole says. "I'll be keeping an eye on it, in case we have to evacuate."

"No way." Jesse shrugs it off. "We haven't had a storm that bad for years." 

"Can never be to careful." Cole says seriously. "We live near a lake, we'll be flooded."

"Can Alex stay for dinner?" Will pipes up, completely ignoring our serious conversation.

Cole looks at me for confirmation, and I nod slightly.

"Sure." He says. "Of course."

<><><><><><><><>

I relax on the porch swing, wrapped up in my blanket. One thing I love about home, is the smell of fresh air after rain. 

This time of night is the best, because everyone's gone to bed, or at work. Even Jesse isn't around, he had a cow emergency he had to attend to. 

The door opened, and Alex makes his way outside, stopping when he sees me.

"How did I know I would find you out here?" He smiles.

"It's been raining, of course I'm here." I smile back, happy he remembered my love for summer nights like these.

"You been counting stars again?" He asks, leaning on the porch.

"Trying." I shrug. "Bit too cloudy tonight." 

We sit in silence, and I'm ashamed that I allow myself to take comfort in his presence. 

In all my life, Alex has been the one person who could soothe me, to the point where I felt pure peace.

The only one who could stop my nightmares.

The only one who gave me a sense of protection.

The only one who loved me, with a love so intense I felt like the world around me was burning.

Call it exhaustion, I haven't slept in weeks. 

"I was thinking, maybe we could..."

His voice was always so deep and smooth.

"Harper?" 

I start to drift, maybe if I just close my eyes for a second...