Chapter 1 ✔

Edited: 10/05/17

K A T E

16 YEARS LATER

"Katheryn! I'm leaving." Severus shouted from down the stairs. He worked as a professor at Hogwarts and was my legal guardian. Apparently I turned up at his doorstep when I was one and I had been with him ever since. People saw him as this closed off and mean man, but I knew the real him. He was kind and brave, he would do anything to protect the people he loved.

"Okay! I'll see you later. And please try to refrain from giving detention to too many kids today!" I replied and heard the front door shut.

Once Severus had adopted me, he moved us to a little cottage on the edge of the enchanted forest, close to Hogwarts. I was visited by Dumbledore and Hagrid from time to time, just to check up on me. They thought it necessary to witness my progress with magic.

I had always been different to the other kids at Hogwarts and Severus had been persistent that I stay home. I gave off this sense of power that seemed to intimidate everyone I met. It was probably my eyes. As I grew up my eyes appeared to become more golden and I had the rarity to use magic without a wand.

I asked both Snape and Dumbledore about it and they said I got it from my parents, but they didn't know who they were. Severus had shown me the letter I arrived with and explained why I couldn't go to school until I was seventeen. It was stupid because I'd only have like a year left. But according to the letter I wouldn't be safe until I came of age, and my birthday was in two weeks time. I'd be going to school the day after, which would be the beginning of the school year.

I was actually quite nervous to be around people my age. They would probably be the most dangerous thing I would encounter, never mind spells, people were what I was worried about. They could judge how I looked, or be scared of me because I was different.

I knew that going to Hogwarts would most likely be me risking my life. I mean, something bad happened every year. Whether it was Voldemort or Sirius Black, it just never stopped. Most of it was because of Harry Potter, Severus didn't really like him, but he protected him for Harry's mother, Lily. Severus told me how they were best friends before Voldemort killed her and her husband. It was sad really, I felt sorry for Harry.

However, I had no time to think such thoughts, as I was packing for the Quidditch World Cup. I'd be going with the Malfoy's and I was looking forward to it. Not going with the Malfoy's, but the Quidditch part. It was held in two days, but I still had to make the trip to Lucius'. Severus couldn't take me for some reason, so the only way I could go was to agree to go with whoever he chose. I would be picked up the next day and have a tent of my own when we got there. My neighbour's would be a family with the surname of Diggory and I didn't mind one bit. I would do anything to stay away from Draco and his snobbish ways.

I packed the necessities: Toothbrush, toothpaste, at least four changes of clothes, two pairs of shoes, hair care, facial care, anything of everyday use and then placed the full bag at the end of my bed.

The rest of the day was as boring as it usually was. It contained my basic routine that consisted of me doing things with my magic. I'd made things float around me whilst I read books, made charms, I even cut the grass! That's how bored I was, resulting in me doing chores to pass the time. By the time Severus came home, I had cleaned most of the cottage beside his room and the bathroom. He looked around and them to me with a raised brow. "I was bored." I shrugged and then went to walk away, but his voice stopped me.

"Katheryn, I thought we agreed to practice your spells?" I mentally face-palmed and turned back around and stood across from him. "Right, get your wand out. We'll start with the Expelliarmus spell." He instructed, whilst getting out his wand and I did too. "We'll go on three."

"One..."

"Two..."

"Three!"

"Expelliarmus!" I shouted and pointed my wand in his direction. His wand flew so hard out of his hand that it embedded itself into the wall. "Oops, sorry." I apologised. Severus turned to me with a small smile and shook his head.

"It's alright. You're just a little more stronger than I expected. But it's alright, it just means you're better at protecting yourself. Let's do a different spell. Lumos." Snape chanted and his wand's tip started to glow. I smiled and looked down to my own wand.

"Lumos." I spoke, but when my wand lit up, it wasn't like Snape's. Instead it had a green tint to it and it was alot brighter than his. Looking back to Severus, I noticed he was deeply concentrated on my wand with a frown.

I stopped the spell and lowered my wand to my side. He seemed to snap out of whatever he was thinking and cleared his throat. "We'll do one more today and then I want you to got to bed." He took a stance with his hand pointed forwards and shouted: "Expecto Patronum!"

The light seemed to flood from his wand and formed the shape of a Doe. It pranced around the room before Snape made it disappear. "Wow." I breathed out in awe. Looking towards him, I asked, "Can I try?" He nodded and put his wand away.

"Think of your best memory. One that makes you the happiest you've ever been and then cast the charm." Severus addressed and then stepped back a bit.

I closed my eyes and went through my memories. I had never done anything like that before, but it seemed like the more I thought about being happy, the more one specific memory resurfaced. It was of my mother, before she gave me up. She was singing to me whilst rocking my crib and it made me happy. I kept the thought in my head as I cast the charm.

"Expecto Patronum!"

My wand released a blinding green tinted light and went down slowly to reveal a green, almost ghost like Falcon flying around the room. My eyes lit up in excitement and I lowered my wand, automatically stopping the charm.

Severus was at a loss for words, probably because I did it first try. I called his name and he looked at me with his mouth slightly open.

"You might want to close that, fairies might get in." I mused. He immediately sobered up and cleared his throat again.

"Right, good work. Now off to bed. You need to get into a routine for school. Hagrid will be coming over on your birthday to give you your books and anything you need for school. Be careful tomorrow. The Malfoy's can be quite troublesome." Severus informed me and pushed me towards the stairs. I got to the top and then looked down at him.

"Goodnight Severus."

"Goodnight little Katheryn."

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Fun fact: Falcons are known for killing snakes.