Chapter 12

K A T E

The past few weeks after the second task had been a bit hectic. Cedric seemed to be avoiding me for some reason -though I could have just been paranoid- Rosie was busy studying, Ash was too busy watching Rosie study and Snape had been on the hunt for whoever kept stealing rare ingredients from his cupboard. I was terribly bored, but that seemed to pass the time fairly quickly. Before I knew it, the third task had arrived and a large crowd was gathering by a maze. The champions and I were getting pep talks. Cedric from his father -whom I had yet to meet- the other three with others I didn't know. I, however, was fortunate enough to get Severus.

"Whatever happens in there you'll be careful, won't you Katheryn."

"Yes, Severus." I replied. He sighed and then said to me: "Call me dad, just this once. You could get seriously hurt and you would've never said it if not now."

"I promise I'll be safe...Dad. Besides, I promised Rosie I wouldn't leave her alone and I plan on keeping it."

He seemed satisfied with my answer and pulled me into a rare hug. "Good. I'll see you later then."

"Yeah."

The music began and I came to the middle after Cedric, Fleur and Viktor where everyone was crowding around. Harry was right behind me and he didn't look very confident, so Dumbledore spoke to him. Once he was done, Albus walked onto his podium and started his speech. It seemed like it was all he ever did. He called for silence and then began.

"Earlier today, Professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now, as Mr. Diggory..."

Cheers interrupted and Cedric's arm got pulled up by his father. I was moved over to an opening of the maze that had a green flag. Fog was seeping through the gap and it was quite intimidating.

"...and Mr. Potter are tied for first position...they will be the first to enter the maze, followed by Miss Snape, Mr. Krum and then Miss Delacour."

Once again the cheers grew loud and Dumbledore had to raise his voice. "The first person to touch the cup will be the winner! I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter. Should any point, a contestant wish to withdraw from the task...he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands."

Albus then got off his podium and walked closer to us. "Contestants! Gather around. Quickly!"

We hurried to get over to the professor and he placed his hands on Krum's and Fleur's shoulders. He began to whisper to us: "In the maze, you'll find no dragons or creatures of the deep. Instead, you'll face something even more challenging. You see, people change in the maze. Oh, find the cup if you can. But be very wary, you could just lose yourselves along the way." He left us with that and directed to the audience once more.

"Champions, prepare yourselves!"

We walked back over to our designated places as the cheers grew louder again. I looked over to Snape and he nodded his head at me. It was the best I would get at that moment. He wasn't one for public affection, so I took what I got.

"On the count of three. One--"

Bang

The cannon shot off and the music began again to which Dumbledore sighed. He nodded to Harry and Cedric, so they took it as a go and walked into the maze. After they got a bit further away, The entrance they went in closed up and they could no longer go back the way they came.

◙ ◙ ◙

I was sent in not long after and the more I walked into the maze, the more on edge I began to feel. All I could hear was the rustling of the tall hedge walls and in the distance there was the sound of them shifting and moving. It was obvious that they were enchanted to change to make it more difficult on us to find the cup.