Chapter 5

Important A/N at the end talking about the schedule for updates and such.

◙ ◙ ◙

C E D R I C

All the students had gathered in the goblet room and were chatting in anticipation for who would be chosen. I spotted Katheryn as she made her way over to me after saying goodbye to Hermione Granger and I turned away from my friends to greet her.

"Hey, Kate. Did you end up putting your name in?" I asked, sorting out my tie. It was a nervous habit.

"Oh God no. Didn't I tell you that I wouldn't do that. Besides, it would probably freak Snape out if I was chosen. Do you think you'll be chosen?" She questioned with a small smile. 

"There are lots of people who put their names in. It's a one in a thousand chance. But yeah, I hope I get chosen. Eternal fame, who wouldn't want that?"

Kate was about to reply, but Dumbledore's booming voice forced silence in the room. Everyone turned to face him as the teachers started walking through the crowd. Severus spotted Kate and nodded at the seat behind. I sat beside her with our arms slightly brushing.

"Sit down. Please." Albus instructed, standing by the goblet of fire. Everyone complied and sat down in a seat, waiting for him to continue. "Now the moment you've all been waiting for: The champion selection."

The headmaster of Hogwarts then held out his right arm and waved it slowly across the room, diminishing all the flames and candles so only the goblet's flame was alight. With his arm still stretched out infront of him, he walked up to the flame. Both hands on each side, he stepped back and the fire became a dark shade of pink. Before it became blue again, it blew out a burnt piece of paper that had a name written on it. Dumbledore then proceeded to turn it over and read out the name.

"The Durmstrang champion is Viktor Krum."

A series of claps and cheers followed as Viktor stood up and walked over to Dumbledore. Albus shook Viktor's hand and patted his shoulders, sending him off to a part of the room. The goblet's flame became pink for the second time and once again released another piece of paper. Albus caught it with ease and read out the second name.

"The champion for Beauxbatons...is Fleur Delacour."

Fleur stood up smiling with cheers from her school, shook Dumbledore's hand and went to where Viktor was currently standing. The last piece of paper flew from the goblet and Kate had unconsciously took my hand in her own. I smiled secretly, but deep down I knew that if I was chosen there was a chance that I could get hurt. 

"The Hogwarts champion, Cedric Diggory!"

I had a huge smile on my face as people cheered, but it dropped as soon as I saw Katheryn's face. When I got up, I squeezed her hand and let go to walk over to our headmaster. After I shook hands with him, I walked over to the other two champions. Kate was looking at me with a frown. To try and lighten her up, I winked at her. She looked down with a small, sad smile, but it was a smile non the less and I took it as a win. With that, I walked out of the room.

◙ ◙ ◙

K A T E

"Excellent! We now have our three champions." Dumbledore exclaimed with his arms wide. Crouch brought in an object covered in a cloth. "But in the end, only one will go down in history. Only one will hoist this chalice of champions...this vessel of victory..." The headmaster turned around quickly and pointed as the cloth was removed, revealing a glowing blue chalice. "The Triwizard Cup!"