Thirty-One

After Clint had stood up to him, let something slip, Foster couldn't take it. He was fuming, he was word-vomiting all these things that I couldn't keep up with. All these bizarre things. Things that I couldn't believe, things I wouldn't date to believe. I ditched class, I held his hand and brought us out in the parking lot. For some reason, the school parking lot always brought us clarity. There weren't any trees around and our school was on a hill so it was like we were in the sky. We were beautiful angels with all the answers. 

I took his hand, I cradled it in mine, I tried to kiss him, I tried to calm him, I tried to make him stop. 

"She's dead, but I didn't kill her, Darla," He took my face in his hands, "You believe me, don't you? You know me." 

"Foster, I love you and adore you and trust you.. But I don't know you." His hand slowly dropped from my face to his lap. I regretted what I said, but it was the truth. Nothing hits harder than the truth. 

"Let me know you?" This was my feeble attempt at getting answers, at getting truth from him, not just unconscious babble.

He went from looking at his lap to looking into my eyes. I kissed up his arms. I really wanted him to know that I meant it. I loved him, I adored him, I trusted him. I closed my eyes. He smelled like the earth. But not what you'd think. He smelled like milk and honey; he smelled like a promised land. 

"Hey, Darla?" 

I stopped in my tracks, my heart beating out of my chest. He sounded so fragile.

"Yes?"

"Can we go for a drive?"

I kissed his arm one final time, "okay."