Seventeen

Yesterday, they thought I was dying. I would know because Foster was there, and he said that I wasn't breathing properly. And he said that they took me to a very fancy hospital with bright lights and silver needles. He didn't go, but my mom did, and he bothered to ask her about it. Sometimes people do favors like that for other people, usually friends. I didn't know if we were friends. I thought about asking him at lunch. He sits with me sometimes. When Clint doesn't. And Noel always does. Always. She's nicer than you think. She doesn't just have a small stomach and emerald eyes, but she travels. And she builds things for people who can't build things. In other countries, she does this. In the summer. I respect her a lot. 

She said that I scared her when I went to the hospital with the silver needles and then she asked to take me to a party. Clint asked to take me to the party too. I said we could all go together and I think Clint likes Noel. Because he sat by her. 

And he goes,"You look pretty."

And she goes, "No, you look pretty."

And then laughter erupted from the back seat. I didn't find it all that funny, but they did, and I think that's how it works. I don't want to use the word love. Because that shouldn't be used to describe other people's interactions. I don't want to talk about this anymore. 

Clint's friend was driving and he looked over at me for just a quick second, "You're friends with Foster, right?"

 "Um..."

And Clint got uncomfortable. I think I know why, I always want to think so, but I'll probably never fully understand. But I'll ask Foster about it later anyway. That's what I always do. Always.