Three

As I cautiously take my first step into the door, an icy chill hits me like a knock across the face and I feel colder and paler than usual. Everyone seems pre-occupied with talking to their friends that they've probably known forever and that only makes it clear to me how much harder this will be. 

I grip my bag and stumble through the halls, breezing past everything like the wind and find my locker quickly, I fumble with the lock and shove my things inside, turning my face away from everyone and finally taking a few breaths that I desperately needed. 

I'm so out of shape, I think to myself.

I throw my hands over my face and get deep enough into my locker so that I can sob. I make sure not to let any tears meet my fate, they'll only think I'm weak and they'll judge me because of it. I rummage through my bag and pull out my mirror like I discovered a treasure. Relief pours over me and I find some comfort coming from the small object as I look into it. I feel calm at first and then look longer and anxiety drains into my bones once I see the scars and the broken parts coming into my line of sight. I push the mirror away and shut my locker before I can let it get to me. 

My bottom lips quivers, but I regain composure once a group of students pass in front of me. I lean against my locker as people go by and a boy stops once he sees me. I can't tell what he thinks of me yet.

"You're the new one?" He points and a few more of his friends stop once they hear. 

"Guys, this is her!" He looks at me in awe and heat rushes to my cheeks. 

"Oh, she's pretty." 

"You can sit with us in math," One with blonde hair tells me as I feel an arm snake around my shoulders, pulling them tight into a limitting space. 

"Really?" I ask surprised.

The blonde one looks me down and my cheeks sizzle again, "What's your name?"

"Darla." 

"We'll call her Darling. She'll fit in perfect." 

They all nod their heads in agreement as we strut into a classroom and I feel the tension that I once held before mix into the air and float slowly away from me.