Ten

"Hey," He said, almost brightly, almost like he actually wanted to talk to me. The French teacher was drawing something on the board and I wanted to look over at him so badly, but I simply looked down at my lap, arguing with my instincts. 

Besides he's probably not even talking to me anyway, it would be stupid to-

I shot him a puzzled look, "Why are you throwing things at me?" I grumbled. 

"Erasers?" 

"Yes," I hissed, "stop it."

He grinned at the ground, playing with his thumbs, "Wow, you actually answered."

After a moment or two, I diagnosed him: "You have serious problems," I taunted, crossing my arms and looking to the teacher.

"Want to ditch?" He whispered, searching my face with his eyes. I looked away again once I'd had enough of his gaze.

"No."

"But you owe me." 

I almost scoffed, "I owe you nothing, leave me alone."

"But you hit me last week, remember?"

My shoulders twitched as his facial features slowly got coated with hurt. A bruise on his left cheek suddenly stood out to me and I had to restrain myself not to touch it. I won't make the same mistake like last time. He's obviously really choosy about things like that and-

"A picture will last longer," He smiled, but it never got too his eyes.

I frowned, "Sorry."

He turned his face away and his tone changed as he started building up his walls and slouching in his chair, "Whatever."

My heart ached for him, it really did. It started swirling around in my chest, begging for me to hug him. Or touch him. Or do something to assure him that it was okay. But it wasn't. My heart was reaching out to grab his brittle shoulders and squeeze them tight and never let go until we were both really okay again. Until we were both healed and happy again.

A series of muffled sounds of pain escaped my lips and then it formed a word: "Please."

"What?" I could see the bit of his eyebrows that furrowed from this distance.

I sighed, throwing my hands up in frustration, "Just.. just.. fuck." I cursed and then silence fell over the room.

"Darla," the teacher stared in awe, her eyes crumbling under her lines, and the radiating annoyance seeping from her pores, "Foster," She shut her eyes and exhaled harshly, "Dentention. Now."