One

I cling tightly to the plush bear in my arms and cry into it's face, I cry and I cry and pinch the little fat on my thighs which seemed like, to me, pounds that would never end. I stretched my leg and got up, looking into the mirror which was the only piece of furniture left in my room and you know what I saw?

I saw fat.

I saw tons of it, all hanging from my bones and it was almost too much for me to take. Then I felt light-headed, I didn't know if it was because of what I saw in front of me or because I hadn't eaten since.. wait, I can't remember. That's okay, I shrug that away and hit my stomach with the palm of my hand hoping that the ugly sound coming from it will stop.

It only became louder.

Tears trickled down from my eyes and stained my cheeks and blurred my vision which was probably the best thing for me right now, I grasped the fuzzy bear close to my heart and didn't want to let it go until I was thin and beautiful.

Clicking abounded from the hall and my mother stepped into the room before I could wipe everything away and pretend.

"Honey, the movers are outside," She looked at me with sympathy, "I know moving is hard, but.." She didn't finish, she just nodded to the open window with the big, orange and white trucks outside. I looked back at her with her perfect figure and nearly collapsed.

"Are you going to eat dinner?" She didn't look me in the eyes, she knew the answer.

"I -"

She walked closer, "Darla, you've got to eat something," She laughed a humorless laugh before saying, "You're practically skin and bones, " And then she patted my shoulder and it hurt like hell, it made my knees wobble and was almost enough to knock me down.

"I'm not skinny, mom," I spat bitterly like venom, "You wouldn't understand."

She made the mistake of touching my face.

"I can't move from here!" I broke, "The new school, the new kids.. They'll judge me, they'll say things.. I'm too fat!"

Her face faltered.

"Don't make me." I begged in a whisper, and grabbed my mother and pulled her into a hug, "They won't understand."

She sighed, "We are moving." She said every word strongly and firmly but something about them cracked and hung in the air and with that, she stormed out.

She couldn't even look at me anymore.

I stumbled backward and slid down the wall, not wanting to believe what was happening. The movers started piling into my room, I pushed my hands over my face and whimpered into my fragile, brown teddy bear, "No. No. No." I screamed, but no one seemed to hear, or maybe no one was capable of caring anymore, and in that moment I felt like the most unloved person on the planet as the movers picked up my boxes without a word or even - or even a flinch.

They must think that I'm fat too.

I cry harder.