Twenty-Four

"Do you feel sick?" That was the nurse. She wore her hair pinned up in a bun, and had scrubs on. The bags below her eyes sagged down to her cheeks, she was very pretty, very pretty and very tired.

"No,"

She glanced to Noel. Noel blinked. Noel didn't know what to say. I think the nurse was looking for a prompt. "Have you eaten anything lately?" Chill. Chill. Chill. All down my back. Like ice. Leaving a trail of pain and stings. Stinging all the way to my little anorexic heart.

"I don't-" I blinked and gripped my abdomen, "I don't know."

"You're underweight, Darla, " She said.

Foster was there. Foster and Noel. I felt so comforted by them. I knew that Foster knew, and Noel didn't. So he looked away more. I was in love with his anguished expression. I saw inklings of compassion and fear and torture all over his face. And they were all mine. His emotions were all for me during those moments. I savored every sensation, every movement, every breath that he gave off. And once that was done, and he returned to normal, I looked at the nurse.

"Darla, have you been eating regularly?" She looked curious and I'm sure that I looked guilty. And Foster look distressed. Noel was a mess of confusion.

"Yes, " I promised. And it was a lie. It was a complete fiction. I hadn't eaten in days, and Foster knew. And I wanted him to say something.

"Darla," I saw his lips, the way they moved, the way they caressed my name. I wanted this. My eyes begged for his help. "is underweight because, " I could feel my hollow body gasping for this. He could say the things that I couldn't say. "she has anorexia," And it was a nod. And it was a sigh. And he knew. And so did everyone in the room.