substantiate

Word of the day: Substantiate. Means making sure your facts or theories are correct by either clarifying it with a more knowledgeable source or...actually, there isn't another option.  It's just there to make sure you don't look silly. 

I had a dream last night that the girl downstairs kissed me.  She had brown hair instead of blonde, and I think that was more becoming on her.  She was a pleasant kisser, not one to force or fake, but a genuine sweet kiss.  I wish it was true, but dreams are meant for sleeping. 

I returned to the office the next day as I had always done and completed my work well before my end time.  I clocked out, as I felt it wasn't fair to be on the clock and not do my job, therefore, I hurried down to the boiler room and visited the girl.

"Hello?"  I whispered, peeking under the staircase.

"Hey," the girl whispered back as she slid the base door to the side.  "What did you find?"

"Well, these are my observations.  And I think it's Mark."  I handed her the papers I had so vigorously worked on the night before.

The girl took the pile and thumbed through them, her brows bending every time she came across something interesting and she hummed once in awhile when she agreed with something I had written.  Smiling, she looked up at me, "It's funny, you would think it's the boss, but Mark does sound like a true suspect.  I've heard him through the vents talk about some really strange and vile things.  Everyone else, I think, shouldn't be counted."

"Okay, so, should I call the police?"

"We don't have any true evidence that he did actually plot the murder.  What was his connection with The Creepy Man?"

I shrugged.  I had never seen them really talk together.  "I did see Frank and The Creepy Man talk a lot.  They were actually good acquaintances.  Though, not enough for Frank to go to one of The Creepy Man's parties."

She laughed at that and I couldn't help but feel a little warmer inside.  "You're right.  I have heard them talk sometimes, but not what about.  Perhaps Mark told Frank to tell The Creepy Man to kill us?"

I splayed my hands out in happy discovery.  "You're right.  Frank would only do that if he was paid, and Mark is high up in the office chain."

"Exactly!  That only makes sense," the girl agreed with a snap of her fingers.  "You should call the police, claim there's been a murder, and if they ask who you think it may be, mention Mark first and show him all of these papers you've written.  This is the only evidence we have besides the video tape."

Smiling without showing teeth, I took the girl's hand and squeezed it slightly.  "As awful as this is, I'm glad I'm doing this case with you.  Hopefully when I'm done, you'll be free."

"And you, too."

I tilted my head to the side, not knowing exactly what she meant.  Did she mean free from the office environment or free from myself?  "What do you mean?"

"You're not like the other boys, James, you don't belong here.  You belong somewhere safe, where nothing can hurt you."

"That's very reassuring, I hope I can be there someday.  I've got to go.  I'll see you tomorrow."

I gave her a small wave and left my lunch box with her.  I was kind of excited about phoning the police and mentioning our fine investigation!  It wasn't much, but I believed it would provide the police with some substantial material in this bland office of mine.