Chapter 10 - The Great Wall of Mana

Everybody sprinted down the hill as the flame-spraying moltrogk turned it's head their way, setting the top ablaze. Naito clung to Cosena's back as she spun around and chanted "Learthawl!". Responding to the command of her voice, a thirty foot wide stone wall arose behind them, preventing the moltrogk's flames from quickly scorching everything in their devouring dancing. Cosena scooped Alsen up under one arm and continued her sprint down the hill.

Thanks to all the flames, the marsh was no longer pitch black, allowing them to actually see what was around them. Cosena slowed her pace down until she reached a tree to rest against. Naito could tell her body was ready to give out on her. Strong as Cosena was, sprinting down a hill with Naito on her back and carrying Alsen was too much, even for her. Naito hopped off her back and stood with wobbling legs. His head was throbbing in pain. Why had he wasted so much mana trying to fight an illusion?

Alsen squirmed and reached out towards Naito, so Cosena released her. She wrapped her arm around his and pressed her face into his back. "Naitey...I want to go home." she spoke softly.

"We'll be out of here soon. We're all making it out of here in one piece, I promise." Naito responded. He and Alsen both covered their ears when everything shook and rumbled under the impact of the moltrogk shattering Cosena's wall with its hammer. Both moltrogks pummeled the hill in deafening strikes until their was nothing left of it but dust and debris. The two hulking menaces roared as they continued to wreak havoc, smashing anything in their sight and hurling fireballs in every direction.

"Watch out!" Cosena shouted and threw herself onto Naito and Alsen, planting them against the ground. The intense heat and sound of flickering flames told him that they just barely avoided certain death.

"Alile, which way is the ocean?" Zento asked.

"Just follow the flying hot dogs." Alile replied.

Cosena got off of Naito and Alsen, allowing Naito to see that the trees around them were all burning to the ground. Cosena put Naito on her back again and they covered their mouths with their collars. "Alsen, I can't carry both of you. I'm going to need you to run with us, okay?" Cosena asked.

Alsen nodded feebly. "I-I can move...I'm not hurt."

"Cosena, carry her instead." Naito slid off of Cosena's back. He couldn't risk Alsen falling behind and getting hurt because he was getting carried like a child.

"Naito, you're not in any condition for this."

"Hey, we don't have time to stand around!" Zento exclaimed. He swept Alsen off her feet like a knight from a fairy tale rescuing a princess, and took off sprinting again, following Alile's lead. Naito knew Cosena wouldn't go anywhere without him, so he climbed on her back again. Despite showing signs of exertion only moments ago, she was able to keep up with the soldiers. With a flick of her wand, Alile surrounded their feet in a mystical green aura that increased their speed significantly.

Naito heard the thunderous footsteps behind them slowly getting closer and hesitantly looked back. He looked back to see the moltrogks stomping over the remains of their destruction, along with a fireball rocketing towards them.

"Casele, quick!" Zento shouted.

"Right...Poydrushle!" Casele shot a huge jet of pressurized water from her wand through the center of the fireball, dousing it out.

"T-They're right on our tail!" Casele screamed, her face ashen in fear.

"I'll distract them." Alile said, "You should be able to find the way without me from here. I'll meet up with you guys in...twenty minutes?" Her body was a blur as she zoomed past them at a blinding pace. With the skill and agility of a ninja, she hopped up the trees and onto one of the moltrogk's shoulder. It grumbled stupidly and swatted its shoulder as if it had been bit by a mosquito, but Alile had already jumped onto the other one's nose. The first moltrogk pointed to its partner's nose and grumbled. Alile hopped off its nose back onto the branch of a tree, letting the moltrogk punch its own face.