Chapter 13 - Humility

Author's Notes: REALLY sorry for the late update guys, I worked overtime again last week, so I was pretty wiped out, and I did a lot of replanning with this chapter, so it took some extra time and effort to finish! Hopefully the result turned out to be worth the wait!

Wind whistled in Naito's ears as he floated through the air towards a ray of violet light. Where was he? There were no other light sources, everything else was just a mist of gray nothingness. Last thing he remembered was trying to save that woman. Was he successful? Where was he now, and how was he levitating?

"Salutations, humble child." a voice boomed like thunder, surrounding Naito like some sort of omnipotent presence.

"I must be dreaming..." Naito tried to pinch himself, but felt nothing. He looked down to see his fingers going right through his arms; his body was translucent like an Animal Spirit.

"You could say that. Sleep and death are twins after all, child."

"Death...hang on, are you saying I'm dead?!"If Naito was dead, that would mean he left that girl to the horror of her mother burning to death, and left Alsen and Cosena to the horror of his own death. Not only that, but he let his mother down by dying before coming anywhere near making her wish come true. What was his empire going to do without him?

"You are not dead either, child. You're in a place in between." the voice said.

"How can I be alive and dead at the same time? Who...no, what the heck are you? Where are you?"

"Come closer, child."

Naito wasn't so sure how wise it was to listen to that mysterious voice, but his body floated closer towards the ray of light against his will, as if he were being sucked up by a vacuum. When he came to a stop, he couldn't believe that what he stood before was the source of the voice. It was a donkey, although it lacked a physical form and seemed to be shaped up entirely out of the violet light.

"I am Humility, one of the Seven Heavenly Virtues." the donkey boomed, evidently the same voice he heard seconds ago.

"One of the what...?" Naito asked.

"There is too much to tell you, young one, you have to wake up soon." Humility continued without giving Naito a chance to say anything, "I wish to speak to you about your recent actions, child."

"Can you please stop calling me 'child'? I'm a king!" Naito exclaimed defensively. What could be more demeaning than being called a child by a jackass?

"You nearly died in an attempt to save another's life. You were stupid, impatient, brash, and reckless." Getting downright insulted by a jackass, that's what could be even more demeaning.

"I tried to save someone's life!" Naito balled his fists in anger at the donkey's insulting words.

"Despite all this, you did still value the life of another over yours, and I respect that. I can sense great promise from you...therefore, I shall send you on a quest."

"A quest? Hang on, why should I do anything for you?"

"I trust that this quest will grant you safety from your own enemy."

"My own enemy...? Do you mean that girl in black?"

Humility continued without acknowledging Naito's question, "Travel to Mt. Nomcludaint, find prince Silver, and assist him on his journey. I look forward to seeing just how humble you truly are, child. But now, I must bid you farewell, it's time for you to wake up. May we meet again soon."