Chapter 23 - Revelations

Kayla couldn't comprehend what just happened. She was just in the woods with Naito, and yet now she was in Zart's bedroom. Zart sat at his desk, waving his wand while chanting something that Kayla didn't understand. He hadn't noticed her yet. Unsure what to do and not wanting to disrupt him, she backed up slowly.

The floor creaked.

Kayla held her breath, hoping that he hadn't heard, but he spun his chair around and saw her.

Zart pushed his reading glasses up. "Hm? When did you get here?"

"I'm so sorry, it was an accident! I-I mean, I have no idea how I got here! I was outside and then next thing I knew, I just appeared here!" she rambled, feeling the sweat trickle down her neck.

"Did you? That shouldn't be right, I know I set the Apparatus solely to wizards."

"Apparatus?"

"It's a trap. Any wizard that steps within a two-mile radius from my house will apparate directly to me."

Kayla gulped. She hadn't heard anything about that!

Zart pulled his glasses down. The serious look her gave her sent chills through her veins. He looked like an entirely different person compared to the fatherly figure he usually presented himself to her as. "Makayla, you're a wizard, aren't you?"

Kayla fidgeted and picked at her nails. Her cover was blown. What was she supposed to say? That this High Mage messed up his trap? Even if she did say something like that, how would it be that no random citizens appeared in his house? She knew there was no way she could get away with lying to him. With another gulp, she said, "I am."

Zart groaned and rubbed his temples. "I knew there was something special about you."

Kayla's phone vibrated in her pocket.

"Go ahead, answer it," Zart told her.

She pulled it out. It was Naito calling her. She wasn't surprised, he had to be wondering what on earth just happened to her. As soon as she answered his call, his voice rang out in her ear.

"Kayla! Where are you? Are you okay? What happened?!"

"Naito, I'm fine. I was sort of...teleported back to Zart's house."

"Teleported? What are you talking about?"

"I don't really know how to explain. Can you bring my bike back? We can talk when you get here."

"Alright..."

Kayla hung up the phone and put it back in her pocket.

"You two have been spending a lot of time alone lately. You're not dating, are you?" Zart asked with furrowed eyebrows, his expression still just as serious.

She felt her face turn the color of a peach. "W-What? No! Don't be ridiculous!"

"That's good."

"Huh? Why is that a good thing?"

Zart folded his leg over the other. "Never mind that. I have a lot to ask you right now."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you..." she hung her head.

"Why didn't you?"

Kayla swallowed. "It's hard to say."