Chapter 21 - Operation: Surprise Party!

Naito reclined back in the loft chair, immersed in what had to be at least his fifth book. It was late afternoon now. He had already informed the others of Alsen's idea to go to the mall, and he now waited for them to rest up and get ready to go. While he read, his thoughts constantly trailed back to what happened between him and Zento, and what Casele had told him. The thought of Zento as a child making a present for his mother was rather adorable.

Naito was cut out of his imagination by a melodious ringing noise that resonated throughout the house. It stopped for about a minute, then started again. He wondered where it could be coming from, and when it started again for the third time, he realized it must be the doorbell. He got up from the chair and peered out the window, but he couldn't see if anyone was at the door or not.

"I guess I should get that," he told himself, then made his way downstairs and opened the front door.

Zart stood on the welcome mat, hands full of grocery bags, and Kayla by his side. Naito blinked as he opened the door. He hadn't known she was coming over.

Zart must have seen the puzzled look on Naito's face as he stepped inside. "Did I forget to tell you guys? I've been giving her my hospitality," he explained.

"Is that going to be okay, since, you know..." Naito had already told Kayla that they were wizards, he wasn't worried about that. He just didn't like the risk of her being involved in another one of the girl in black's attacks.

"It'll be fine, I told you not to underestimate a High Mage. This is going to be a piece of cake," Zart said as he went into the kitchen.

Kayla walked past Naito to sit on staircase and take her shoes off. She looked exhausted. Their eyes met. She smiled at him, and she smiled back.

"Is everyone else upstairs?" Zart asked from the kitchen.

"Yeah, they're all worn out from the car ride."

"Such a shame, it's a lovely day out. Perfect for going out and exploring the city."

"We're going to the mall later."

"The mall?" Zart came out of the kitchen, his dress shirt now folded over his arm, allowing his fitted white t-shirt to show the good shape his body was in. "That sounds fun. Kayla, why don't you tag along?"

"Me?" she looked up at him.

"Someone as young as yourself shouldn't be stressing out and overworking yourself. Enjoy your youth!" He pat her head, smiling, almost like a father to his daughter, "I'll let the others know that you're staying here." He then went upstairs, but called out seconds later, "By the way Naito, I got ice cream! Mint chip. Casele tells me it's your favorite! Go ahead and dig in."

"Ice cream!" Naito rushed into the kitchen. How did Casele know he loved mint? He couldn't recall ever telling her that. He swung the freezer open, grabbed a pair of cones, and scooped ice cream into them. He returned to the foyer and sat on the staircase next to Kayla. Her eyes were half-shut, hand on her forehead. Just how hard was she working?

"Here." He handed her a cone.

"Hm?" she opened her eyes. "Oh, thanks." She took the cone.

"So, uhm, how's your mother doing?" he asked.

Kayla took slow licks at her ice-cream, "...She's not doing any better, and her hospital bills aren't getting any lower."