Chapter 22 - You're a Wizard

Author's Note: Here's another long chapter, so it'll be split into two parts!

Frozen. Everything from the ground to the mountains was frozen over. Hail and snow rained down from the sky, decorating his land in a coat of white.

He watched over his people from atop the peak of the highest mountain. Some raced to determine the fastest. Some fought fang and nail to determine the strongest. Others simply relaxed between trees, in caves, or on mountains. They were a peaceful people with no conflict between them. There were rare times when two sparring dragons would take their combat too far, but the second they'd see him, they'd break it up.

There was only one flaw in this perfect land. No one died here, for the only food his people required was the endless supply of snow, and they could only die through being killed. For the longest, he thought that this was a good thing. But even with just how expansive this frozen heaven was, they were bound to outgrow their land one day. He knew it wouldn't be any time soon, but it was an unavoidable fact.

"King Nircogard! I bring news!" exclaimed a dragon as he flew to his king with haste.

Nircogard lifted his snout, his interest piqued. Nothing ever changed in Kricade; what could possibly be news to him?

The messenger dragon landed with tucked wings and his head bowed so low that his snout touched the snow. "We've discovered a new path southeast! I assure you, it was not there last we searched!"

"A new path you say? Show me at once."

Both dragons flew off. Nircogard had always wondered what, if anything, lay beyond Kricade. He took it upon himself to search for weeks one time, but this frozen land was the only thing he could find, and so he was convinced that nothing else existed in their world. Even still, he kept a search team. Perhaps even he had missed something.

They arrived at a spot between a thicket of trees, where hundreds of dragons crowded together. When they felt their king's wingbeat, they dispersed instantly.

He couldn't believe what he saw; a path of water. How could that be? Had their ice melted? But how? Nircogard tingled with a new sensation to him: excitement. He was a being that had ruled over this place since the beginning of time, and for the first, something new happened.

"Everyone, follow me. We're exploring," he ordered.

Their journey was much longer than he expected. But soon, Nircogard came across an even bigger, more exciting surprise. They encountered another species following the same path. This new species stood on two feet, their bodies apparently made up entirely of stone and flames. They all had warhammers slung over their shoulders, all of them except the largest one; she held a flaming sword. Unlike the others, she had char-black skin, almost as if it had been burnt, and hair that went down to her knees. Nircogard had no doubt; this was their queen.

The two species were at a standstill, left speechless. Finally, Nircogard spoke. "Allow me to explain. I am Nircogard, king of the dragons. We discovered a path of melted ice and decided to follow it. You see, we've never known anything but our land of chilling frost."

The other species was satisfied enough with his answer to lower their guard ever so slightly. Their leader stepped forward to explain for her people. "I am Egitnafir, queen of the Moltrogks. We too discovered a path that led us here. All we've ever known is the raging infernos of our own land."