Chapter 3

//Carl's POV

As we continued to drive to the Hilltop, I just sat there feeling like a total idiot.

Did I seriously ask Tess if I would ever see her again when I had just met her? Really? She must think I'm a total creep.

I had no idea why I got so nervous around her.

I mentally slapped myself. Like she would ever like someone like me.

I was pulled out of my thoughts as I heard Maggie scream.

Daryl rushed into the bedroom and sat next to Glenn as they both tried to calm her down.

Leaning my head against the window, I tried to keep my thoughts away Tess and failed miserably.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Michonne come out of Maggie's room, obviously exhausted.

I turned to face her, pressing my lips together as she came and sat next to me, putting her face in her hands.

"Is she gonna be okay?" I asked worriedly.

Michonne lifted her head up and looked at me. "Yeah," she sighed. "I'm sure she will be."

There was an unmistakable trace of doubt in her voice that I chose to ignore.

"Why do you think Tess saved us?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

A thoughtful expression crawled onto the woman's face. "I don't know," she admitted. "Maybe she felt bad for us and wanted to help us."

"No one does anything for selfless reasons anymore," I reminded her.

Michonne shrugged. "I don't know," she repeated.

"There has to be a reason," I sighed, looking away.

She put her hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry about it," she told me. "It's not like you're ever gonna see her again."

Keeping my head down, I nodded. Maybe I wouldn't ever see her again.

I felt the disappointment that seemed to swim in my stomach.

Suddenly, I felt the RV jerk to a stop.

"We're here!" my dad called.

---------------------------------------------
Author's Note: So I'm sorry for the really short chapter. I just kinda wanted to save the whole Hilltop fiasco for the next one.

Why do you think Carl's thoughts keep drifting to Tess?