Chapter 31

//Carl's POV

I made my way to the gate the next morning, trying to shake the memory of last night out of my head, a challenge that proved to be impossible.

I was dating Tess, but I couldn't help...I don't know...feeling something during my kiss with Enid. The entire thing was so confusing.

Speak of the devil. I looked off to my left to see Enid walking in the opposite direction–away from the gate. She was with Derick.

Slowly, she made eye contact with me.

As soon as she saw me, her eyes widened and she quickly looked at the ground, quickening her pace.

I sighed and turned my attention away from her.

//Tess's POV

I was sitting against a log reading a book when I heard rustling behind me

I stood up and turned around to see Carl coming through the brush.

Smiling slightly, he leaned forward and kissed me.

When he pulled away, I saw a hint of...I don't even know, guilt on his face.

"You okay?" I asked.

His face seemed to snap and become alert, as if he had just been in his own little world.

"Huh?" he asked. "Oh, yeah, I'm fine."

I nodded slightly before reach down and grabbing my backpack, slinging it over my shoulder.

"Wanna go to the park today?" I asked.

Clearly happy that the subject had been changed, he nodded and we walked off.

//Enid's POV

I hadn't slept at all the previous night. I settled for staring at the ceiling, contemplating what had just happened.

Carl and I kissed. I don't think either of us intended for it to happen, it just did. And I was pissed at him. Have you ever heard of someone that had gotten so mad at someone else that they just kissed them? Yeah, me neither.

"Enid?" a blurry voice said.

I vaguely looked towards the direction of the voice to see Derick looking at me with a concerned look.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Uh," I breathed. "Yeah. I'm fine."

He nodded and suddenly got shy as he reached down and grabbed my hand.

I took a sharp breath as I tensed up and immediately pulled away.

After taking a look at his hurt expression, I sighed and took his hand in mine again.

I couldn't stop cringing for the rest of the walk.

//Carl's POV

Tess and I were on the swings, pushing ourselves back and forth a little with my feet, when I casually looked off to see a school.

"Hey," I got Tess's attention in surprise. "What's in there? Have you checked?"

I watched as she grabbed the chain of the swing with her hand, looking at the building with her eyebrows furrowed together like she was recalling a memory.

"I've tried," she answered. "But as soon as I looked in the widow, I saw that there were a lot of roamers trapped in there. Too many for me to handle."

I smirked as I got an idea. "Too many for you to handle," I repeated. "But not too many for us to handle."

She sighed as she laid her head on the chain. "I don't know," she hesitated. "There would be too many for us to keep up with them with knives and it wouldn't be a good idea to waste the bullets."

"There might be something good in there," I pointed out, really just wanting to see what was in there.

She stared at the school for a few moments before exhaling deeply.

"Fine," she gave in, getting up.

I followed her, an excited smile on my face.

We walked up to the main door and I immediately heard the growls of walkers and the sound of them hitting their hands against the walls.

I watched as Tess pulled her gun out of her holster and pointed it at the door, waiting for me to open it.

I stared at her for a second, taking in how beautiful she looked.

Okay, it was time to stop being cheesy. Walking up to the door, I put my hand on the knob and slowly turned it.

The weight of the walkers made the door fly open.

Tess immediately started taking them down. I joined her a moment later.

Together, we managed to take down all of them. Or at least that's what we thought.

We were about to go into the school when a walker suddenly appeared and knocked Tess to the ground, it falling on top of her.

"Tess!" I screamed as she tried to push it away.

I immediately got out my knife and stabbed it through the head.

I watched as she pushed the body off of her before I reached down and offered her my hand.

She took it.

"Thanks," she grunted as I pulled her up.

"No problem," I replied before we walked into the the building.

---------------------------------------------
Author's Note: Have any of y'all noticed that we haven't seen Negan in a while? 🤔