Chapter 33

//Tess's POV

Carl and I walked out of the school, our bags full of supplies, our hands loosely intertwined.

I had no idea what was going on with him. One moment, I feel like he's pulling away, the next, he's pouring his entire heart out.

"Are we meeting tomorrow?" he asked, tearing me away from my thoughts.

"I can't," I told him, feeling a little guilty. "I'm, uh, I'm meeting with Negan."

Carl nodded, his eyebrows raised, definitely annoyed that I was meeting with someone that he hated.

"I'm sorry," I said sincerely. "He's forcing me."

He sighed before lightly pulling me in, putting his arm around my shoulders.

I leaned my head on his shoulder slightly as we continued to walk.

This was something I could get used to.

////////////////////////////////////

I was waiting outside of the gates to the compound the next afternoon, my knife grasped firmly in my hand in case any roamers showed up.

"Simon!" I called. "I know you're on watch!"

A few moments later, the man appeared over the gate.

"Hey, Tess," he greeted, a sly smile on his face.

It was something I was used to; therefore, I didn't think anything of it.

"Negan wanted to see me," I informed, fully aware the my voice sounded bored.

Simon nodded before opening the gate and I walked in.

Negan approached me, twirling Lucille in his hand, whistling the time to a song that I didn't know.

"Hey, Tessie," he greeted.

"Don't call me Tessie," I told him for the millionth time. "Why did you need to see me."

The man smiled widely. "I need you to run a little...errand for me."

I gave him a confused look. "Meaning..." I prompted.

He smiled grew wider and he pulled me to a secluded area.

"I need you to go to Alexandria," he explained. "Find out how heavily armed they are, then report back to me."

I furrowed my eyebrows at him in suspicion.

"Why?" I asked, already hating the idea.

He smirked. "I'm planning an attack them," he informed.

My eyes widened as my vision tunneled.

"What?" My voice almost gave out on me.

"Yeah," he confirmed. "I'm not just gonna let them...get away with killing my men."

"We had a deal," I reminded him, getting over my state of shock. "They don't kill anymore of your people and you don't kill any of theirs."

"Yeah, well that deal was bullshit," he told me in a matter-of-fact voice.

I took a deep breath.

"So," he said. "Will you do it?"

I pressed my lips together. "No," I denied.

He laughed before raising Lucille so it was under my chin. I could feel one of the blades poking my skin.

My breath became staggered in fear.

"Oh, really?" he asked, his voice dangerous.

After waiting for a few moments, he lowered Lucille and my body relaxed a little.

"Now," he continued. "I'm gonna ask again and I want you to really try this time. Will you do it?"

I was going to say no again. I was sure of it. But when I opened my mouth, something different came out.

"Yes," I breathed.

---------------------------------------------
Author's Note: 😬😬😬