Chapter 24

//Tess's POV

I sat on my motorcycle, waiting for Carl.

When he finally got on, I sighed.

"I'm sorry," I said quietly. "I'm not mad at you."

"Why are you mad?" he asked.

I shook my head. "A bunch of things mixed together, I guess," I answered.

When he didn't respond, I twisted my back to look at him.

"Where are you meeting Spencer?" I asked.

"About 5 miles down the road," he said.

I nodded and started the engine up and we were off.

//Carl's POV

Once we saw Spencer leaning against a tree, Tess pulled over to the side of the road and we both got off.

Spencer walked over to greet us. His eyes staid themselves on Tess.

"You're Tess, right?" he asked.

Seemingly nervous, she nodded. "Yeah," she got out.

Spencer smiled. "Thank you," he breathed. Seeing her confused expression, he explained. "You saved my family. Thank you." He held out his hand

Tess blushed a little before shaking his hand, trying to act somewhat nonchalant. "It was no big deal," she claimed.

He nodded. "Trust me," he told her. "It was."

She smiled and Spencer turned to me. "We better get going," he said.

I nodded and turned to Tess while Spencer gave us a little privacy.

"When are we meeting next?" I asked.

She thought for a moment. "Two days," she answered.

I nodded. "I guess I'll see you then."

She nodded back and I started following Spencer.

"Carl!" I heard her call.

I, along with Spencer, turned to face her.

I watched as she jogged up to me before lightly wrapping her arms around my neck in a hug.

I returned the hug, slightly shocked, not expecting this from her.

She let go, but didn't back away.

She chuckled and looked up at my hat, grabbing the rim of it and pulling it down slightly. I closed my eyes at her touch.

"See you later, sheriff," she said quietly before jogging and getting on her motorcycle, speeding away.

I simply stood there for a moment, stuff with surprise. I was pretty sure my face was beet red.

Finally, I was able to turn to Spencer. He had a smile on his face. Not one of those smiles where he was holding back a laugh or silently making fun of me. His smile was genuine.

"What?" I asked.

His smile grew bigger, though still remaining real, before ignoring my question and continuing to walk back.

I sighed and followed him.

I didn't really have to ask why he was smiling. I knew why.

Because I was smiling, too.

---------------------------------------------
Author's Note: We need a good name for Carl and Tess. Carl and Enid already have one so it seems fair that Carl and Tess should have one, too. Tarl? Caress? Ew no I hate that one 😂

I'm going with Tarl.