Chapter 47

//Carl's POV

I was taking Judith for a walk when Maggie came running up to me.

"Carl!" she called. "Have you seen Enid?"

I shook my head. "I haven't seen her in two days. Why? You can't find her?"

She stopped in front of me, panting slightly from being pregnant. "No, she isn't in her room. But she left this."

She handed me a piece of paper with a drawing on it:

I sighed.

"I know where she is," I said. "Don't worry, I'll go get her."

She sighed sadly and nodded before walking away.

I started jogging towards the gate and climbed over it.

I had been wanting to talk to Enid for a while, but now I had no idea what to say.

Sure enough, there she was, leaning against the log in our usual hang out place playing with her knife.

Sighing, I walked up to her.

"Enid," I said.

She turned to me in surprise before sighing and standing up, brushing dirt off her pants.

I held up the paper. "You knew that I would be the only one that knew what this picture meant."

She crossed her arms before nodding. "I know," she mumbled.

I sighed. "I'm sorry I've been such a jerk."

She pulled her arms tighter around her, a defensive look coming on her face.

"And for what it's worth," I continued, taking a step towards her. "I do love you. I love you a lot. And I should've told you two days ago, but I guess I was still hurting. From...like, Tess."

After a moment, she exhaled shakily and let her arms fall to her side.

"I love you, too," she murmured, staring at her feet before looking up. "But..."

I got closer to her. "But, what?"

She sighed and looked into my eyes...or, well...eye.

"Back when I was dating Ron," she explained. "Before you got here, there was this girl that came here. And he told me they were just friends but..."

She trailed off and I knew then that Ron had cheated on her. (Okay, I know this didn't actually happen in the show but it works for the storyline.)

I sighed. "And now you're afraid that I'm gonna end up being a terrible person, too," I finished for her.

She sniffled and continued to look at me.

//Enid's POV

"Enid," Carl said seriously and stepped even closer to me, so close where I could feel his breath on my face. "I will disappoint you. I will make you so mad where you can't even talk to me."

I didn't say anything.

"But I will never lie to you again," he whispered. "I promise you that."

A smile came on my face as a tear rolled down my cheek and I nodded.

He leaned forward and kissed my forehead, his warm lips sending shivers down my spine.

He then pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him tightly and buried my face in his shoulder.

We pulled away as we heard walkers.

"Sounds like a lot," he smirked. "We should probably go hide in the tree."

I smirked back and nodded, putting my hands on his chest.

"Maybe you'll actually kiss me this time," I told him before playfully pushing him back and running to the tree.