Chapter 32

//Carl's POV

Tess and I observed our surroundings as we walked into the school.

We had walked into a hallway, classrooms coming off of it like branches.

Tess chuckled as she looked around.

"Remember when we would dread coming to this kind of place 5 days a week?" she asked. Her tone of voice made it clear that she was recalling memories.

"I would hate coming her so much," she recalled, her voice becoming more somber with each sentence. "Now I would do anything to have it back. To have my old life back. For everything to go back to the way it was. I mean, I know that's impossible now, but...I don't know."

I nodded, agreeing with her, knowing full well that I was behind her and she couldn't see me.

"There was a girl that I knew in the beginning of all of this," I mumbled.

Tess immediately stopped and turned to face me, a serious look on her face.

We walked to a table and sat down as I chuckled softly.

"Her name was Sophia," I recalled. "We were staying at a refugee camp with a large group of people. She was one of the only people I connected with. We were on a road one time and walkers ambushed us. Sophia managed to run away and she went missing."

Tess inhaled sharply. Sadness filled the action, as if she already knew how the story ended.

"We searched for her for about 3 weeks," I continued. "We were staying at a farm by the end of that time. Finally, we found her. She was right under our noses. She was in one of the barns. She was a walker."

Tess exhaled and took my hand.

"I don't know," I murmured, my head down. "Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if she were still here. How I'd be different."

She continued to look at me.

I sighed and got up. "Come on," I said. "We better continue looking."

And with that, I walked away. I didn't need to look behind me to know that Tess was following.

////////////////////////////////////

We entered what seemed to be a music room. It had a piano and drums and maracas and a bunch of other stuff that I didn't know the name of.

Tess gave a nostalgic grin and sat down at the piano, pushing a few keys.

I sat on a desk, facing her. "Can you play?" I asked.

She turned to me in surprise, as if she forgot I was there, before giving an embarrassed smile.

"A little," she admitted. "I learned in like 7th grade."

I smiled back. "Play something," I suggested.

She chuckled. "I'm really rusty," she warned.

"I don't care," I laughed. "Play somethings."

Finally, she nodded and lightly touched the keys with her fingers.

Finally, she began to play an intro before singing.

Somewhere far from nowhere I grew both strong and tall
Longing to become but knowing not the path at all
But the footprints of the winter melted to fields of spring
One last embrace before I cross the threshold
To life, we sing

O stay your soul and leave my heart its song
O stay your hand; The journey may be long
And when we part, and sorrow can't be sway'd
Remember when and let your heart be staid

Omnia sol, temperate
Absens in remota
Ama me fi deliter
Fidem mean noto
(Translation: The sun warms everything, even when I am far away. Love me faithfully and know that I am faithful)

Weave the dance and raise the chorus
Grieve no more
Through the strength of Orion
Find refuge from the shore
Let courage be your oar, let passion be your sail
Wisdom and truth will guide your deep heart's yearning
Through all travail

O stay your soul and leave my heart its sing
O stay your hand; the journey may be long
And when we part, and sorrow can't be sway'd
Remember when and let your heart be staid

Omnia sol temperat
Absens in remota
Ama me fideliter
Fidem mean noto

And when we part, and sorrow can't be sway'd
Remember when
Remember when

And let your heart be staid

Be staid

As Tess finished the song, I was feeling contradicted.

The song washed me over with a sense of hope. But at the same time, whenever she sang about parting, I couldn't help feel something.

Like it was something that I would soon have to do in my life.

---------------------------------------------
Author's Note: I loved writing this chapter for a few reasons.

1. I love Omnia Sol. I'm singing it in choir and it's amazing

2. I loved talking about Sophia because I miss her and I ship her and Carl in the comics so much like omg