Chapter 9

//Rick's POV

I was taking a walk with Daryl and Michonne. We were talking about Negan's base camp. How impressive it was. (A/N: I obviously don't fully know what Negan's base camp looks like yet being that I haven't read the comics and haven't seen season 7 yet (obviously) so I didn't want to really get into specifics just in case my guesses were wrong.)

Suddenly, I heard a call from Spencer, who was on gate watch.

"Rick!" he called, causing me to turn and look up at him. "There's someone hear to see you. Teenage girl, blond hair."

I sharply turned to look at Daryl and Michonne. "Tess," I whispered. "You guys can go. I wanna have a private talk with her."

As they walked away, I glanced back up at Spencer and said, "Let her in."

I approached the gate as he opened it.

After a few moments, I was standing face-to-face with the girl that saved our lives.

"Tess," I greeted softly.

"Rick," she greeted back, her voice weak. Finally gaining confidence, she assured, "I promise I didn't tell Negan to come here. He loves loopholes and I can guarantee he was trying to find them in the deal."

"I know," I told her, putting my hand up. "I know you wouldn't do something like that."

She gave a little smile.

"But I do think we need to discuss what we should do to control him," I suggested.

She nodded. "I agree."

I gestured to the community with my head. "Come on in," I invited.

She smiled politely and stepped in.

//Tess's POV

I looked around at Alexandria while Rick talked to one of his group members over walkie talkies.

Once he was done, I noticed that members of the community would make eye contact with me before averting their gaze nervously.

"It's like they're afraid of me," I commented to Rick.

The leader chuckled slightly. "Why wouldn't they be?" he asked. "They figure that someone that can control Negan like you do has to be pretty extraordinary."

I gave a tiny embarrassed smile. "They know about me?" I asked.

Rick nodded. "Everyone does. Everyone except...one person."

I furrowed my eyebrows together in confusion. "One person?" I asked. "Who?"

He opened his mouth to answer but was cut off by someone running up to us, causing us to stop.

She had shoulder length black hair with slight olive skin.

"Hey, Tess," she greeted.

"Hi," I replied politely. "I saw you in Negan's lineup but I didn't get your name."

"I'm Rosita," she introduced, putting her hand on her chest.

I nodded and the three of us continued walking.

"So," Rick started. "Do you have a group?"

"Yeah," I confirmed. "My mom named us the Whisperers." I chuckled a little. "I don't know why."

Rick nodded slowly and we continued to walked to the meeting spot.

//Carl's POV

Daryl, Michonne, Eugene, Aaron, and I waited in the kitchen of my house. It was kind of assigned to be the meeting spot.

Suddenly, the door opened and my dad and Rosita stepped in. I also noticed someone else behind them.

Tess.

My hands immediately clenched into fists. She had rid herself of her tough girl look, simply wearing an oversized sweatshirt (A/N: Can you guys tell how much I love oversized sweatshirts?), tight jeans, and combat boots. Her hair was pulled into a messy bun.

Yep, I definitely still liked her.

The three took a seat around the table.

Tess and I made eye contact. She smiled at me, giving me a friendly wink.

//Tess's POV

I gave Carl a smile but turned my focus to Rick when he started talking.

"Okay," he started. "I'm sure we all know why we're here. We need to talk about Negan. About a way to control him." He turned to me. "Tess, do you think Negan could go against the deal and actually attack us?"

I shook my head. "No," I denied. "He loves to find loopholes in deals but he would never flat out go against them. That's not who he is."

As Rick continued to talk, I noticed that Carl was giving me a really intense stare.

(And yes, everyone, I do mean this look:)

I was pretty sure I was blushing a little

I was pretty sure I was blushing a little. Man, this kid was not good at hiding feelings. I gave him a little smile before turning back to face Rick.

//Carl's POV

After the meeting was done and my dad dismissed everyone, people started to leave. Everyone except for me and Tess.

Once she saw that we were alone, she awkwardly got up and headed towards the door.

"I wasn't expecting to see you again," I blurted.

She turned towards me in surprise before smiling a little and putting her hand on the peg of a chair. "Well," she said softly. "Here I am." She chuckled softly. "It's nice to see you again."

"You, too," I replied. I sighed. "Well, I better go."

"Where?" she asked.

"I have gardening duty," I answered.

"Oh," she said quietly and glanced down before looking back up at me. "Want some help?"

I considered turning her away for a moment before deciding against it. "Sure," I complied.

She nodded and we walked out together.

---------------------------------------------
Author's Note: So Tess is a Whisperer. Interesting.

Also, I know a lot of you don't like Tess because she seems boring. I mean, she's obviously not gonna be that interesting after only 3 chapters. Give her a chance 😂