Chapter 6

Text Messages
Chapter 6

Kele rubbed her eyelids. It's a quiet night but her mind is screaming. She replayed Yan An's words over and over again in her head and it's making her smile. She'll forever be grateful to him for making her feel better everytime she breaks down, for being a true friend she could always run to and for simply being there by her side whether it's to annoy her or make her laugh.

Despite everything, Kele fell asleep with a smile because of the thought that she has a best friend like him.

»»※««

Wooseok took in frustrated deep breaths before tapping the send button. He groaned and jumped on his bed, his phone on his chest that was beating fast. Why does it even beat like this? I just sent a damn message.

He stared at the ceiling of his dark room and waited, and waited for reply but none came. It was late. She is probably sleeping. Wooseok, you idiot. He shook his head and placed the phone on his night table. He was about to close his eyes to sleep when it vibrated. He jumped, sitting up and quickly grabbed the phone.

1 message from Kino

Wooseok breathed out in disappointment. It's late.

He clicked the unread message from his friend.

→man, i really cant believe hongseok and my... sister. like dud, didnt even c that comin'

The news of Kino's sister, Kele, and their friend Hongseok are dating exploded into the school like a bomb. Hongseok told them earlier that it wasn't true and Wooseok felt a little strange reliefㅡeven though he doesn't exactly know what it was for.

Kino asked them four to look for Kele earlier and Wooseok found her, but... she had tears in her eyes and she was running away. He couldn't bring himself to approach her. He followed her anyway. And there she was in her best friend's arms leaving Wooseok no reason to approach at all. He notified the group that Kele was with her best friend and that calmed Kino down. He'd been shocked and worried all day for his sister.

Wooseok replied.
hey hongseok said it wasn't true. go sleep. don't overthink

→ i know it wasn't. but did u see the way kele looked at him?

He sighed. He did see and he felt guilty and confused that he's not happy about it.

how is she by the way?

It took him longer time to send that, careful not to let Kino misunderstand. The last thing he'd want is a misunderstanding with his best friend over his sister.

→ snoring. i think yan an did well on making her feel better today. i didnt speak abt it. i dont wanna remind her of those comments. screw people. how dare they

←she's gonna be fine. she seems... strong enough to handle such things.

→ well i hope, man. those words i saw were really just... rude. imma talk to her tomorrow morning

← good. u still coming to the party this friday?

→ yeah before my parents come at least ha

← ok. i'll c'ya

And when the light from Wooseok's phone went off, a crazy idea passed his mind.

»»※««

Kele yawned while reaching for her phone. She looked at all the unread messages with her eyes half-closed.
She was kind of hoping that Hongseok sent her a message. It doesn't need to be long—just a message short enough to make her day. And then she sighed at that thought. Why would Hongseok text her? It's not like he liked her back. What they shared was just a part of his gratitude for what she did that night. It's so wrong to hope for more, but... isn't that what people do when they like someone?